Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 3, 2015

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Tonight's picture was sent to us by our Facebook friend, Tim Beck. Tim surprised us by creating this pumpkin composition for us. Tim found this photo of Mattie painting a pumpkin and transposed it on a larger pumpkin. The photo of Mattie painting a pumpkin was taken at the hospital in October of 2008. I can remember that day perfectly, as Mattie was just admitted to the hospital and as he was getting hydrated to start chemotherapy, he went to the child life playroom for this activity. Mattie LOVED pumpkins and also eating anything pumpkin related! As I told Tim, this was a lovely surprise on such a grey and dreary day!


Quote of the day: What is important is to spread confusion, not eliminate it.  Salvador DalĂ­



I love and can appreciate Dali's quote as it applies to art. Because as we know his art was intriguing and highly confusing! But what happens when things around us, in our actual world, makes NO SENSE? It can produce confusion and in some cases, confusion isn't always good. The only positive to confusion is it gets us talking about it and trying to understand it so that we can resolve the problem/issue quickly. 


I went onto Facebook this morning and a fellow clinician had posted a story about this woman who has Body Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID). I have to admit I never heard of this disorder before today, but now that I know about it, I am deeply confused.  


Currently BIID is not included in the International Statistical Classification of Diseases 11 or the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV (though it is defined now in the DSM-V). As such this disorder is often not known to surgeons, neurologist and psychiatrists. To exasperate this issue, BIID individuals typically avoid healthcare and often act out their desires by pretending they are disabled or perform actual self-amputation (Psychological Medicine, 2005).


Body Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID) is a rare, infrequently studied and highly secretive condition in which there is a mismatch between the mental body image and the physical body. Subjects suffering from BIID have an intense desire to become disabled, for example by desiring an amputation of a major limb or sever the spinal cord in order to become paralyzed. Or as the article (below) which I received today illustrates, the desire to be BLIND. 

Typically I am very open to understanding the plight of mental illness as well as understanding both sides of the coin. But in this case, I am absolutely confused because after seeing Mattie suffer with limb salvaging surgeries which he did not ELECT to have, I can't imagine that someone with healthy limbs would want to have a leg removed. Or with healthy and functioning eyes, to want to be blind. 


In the case presented below, this woman felt that she was meant to be born blind, but unfortunately for her was born with perfect vision. She became obsessed with the desire to become blind and sought the help of a psychologist, who after working with her to two weeks agreed to assist her achieve her desire. The psychologist poured bleach into this woman's eyes. 


All I know is I am happy I am not presiding over the ethical hearing of this mental health provider. Because clearly his license will be in jeopardy and his competence to practice will be coming into question. As you read the second article I posted below, there have been several studies which indicate that psychotherapy is not helpful for such patients with BIID, and in many cases, these patients resort to disfiguring their own bodies if assistance isn't offered to them. 


I wonder as you read this story and watch the video embedded in that link, if you will be just as confused as I am? Her friend commends her decision to put bleach in her eyes and go blind. He says that she "is an inspiration to the blind community." All I can say is wow! I would love to check in with those who are blind (due to illness or genetics) and determine their reaction. 



I Poured Drain Cleaner in my eyes to blind myself:

http://nypost.com/2015/10/01/i-blinded-myself-on-purpose-and-have-never-been-happier/


Amputees by choice:
http://www.philosophy.ox.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/1087/amputees.pdf

No comments: