Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 8, 2015

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Tonight's creation was created today by Tim Beck. Our FB friend! Tim made an announcement on his Facebook page asking parents if we wanted his latest creation, to then send him nine photos! Picking photos of Mattie for me is easy! I have a folder with ALL of my favorites throughout the seven years he was with us. These are the nine that I selected and Tim then cropped them and put them in a composition that made artistic sense. This was another wonderful gift we received today! As I told Tim.... he helps us keep Mattie's memory alive!


Quote of the day: When we know ourselves to be connected to all others, acting compassionately is simply the natural thing to do.  ~ Rachel Naomi Remen


Today was one of those days in which all sorts of surprises came my way! My greatest surprises are not tangible things! I prefer the intangible ones.... stories, connections, etc! The first one was I received an email from Body Dynamics. They are a physical therapy business in Falls Church, VA. Last year, Body Dynamics collected candy for our annual candy drive (as the photo illustrates), which stocks our free snack cart at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. Body Dynamics contacted me because they want to continue the tradition this year. They also want to participate in our April item drive. 

The second surprise was one of our good friends and supporters, sent me a grant application to his company to apply for a corporate sponsorship for Walk 2016. These kind of leads are like gold to me. Corporate sponsorships don't just happen and they certainly do not happen without leads and connections. Which is why I view this is a wonderful surprise today. 

The third surprise was from another friend. This friend, like so many people, doesn't like going to the dentist. However, she wanted me to know that after reading the blog and our Facebook page about Fairlington Dental and their support of the Foundation, that she decided to take a leap of faith and call them. Any case, she loved their nurturing phone presence and what she heard about how they care for their patients. They asked her how she found out about their office, and of course the answer was.... Mattie Miracle! So I wrote to Fairlington Dental today and told them that candy has connected us and our communities together! 

While going through Facebook today, I noticed that my friend in cancer posted an article entitled, Six Things I've Learned in a Pediatric Oncology Waiting Room. When I first read the article I wasn't sure what direction the author was taking, because her words sounded so positive and uplifting to be in a pediatric oncology waiting room. However, as I kept reading, she clearly made her point.... it isn't about the wait. While waiting hours upon hours (doctors, exams, procedures, treatment, etc) you learn not to be impatient but instead to look around and really absorb just how incredible an environment this is... psychosocial staff doing the impossible to keep children and their families intact and at times entertained, and of course watching how resilient and full of life children with cancer are under the worst of life's circumstances! They are the amazing ones, along with their parents who support them.
This should make us pause because when we get upset about having to wait at any point during our day, we need to reflect on the countless number of children and families who are waiting in the hospital everyday for treatment, for scan results, or to assist their children as they die.

Six things I've learned in a pediatric oncology waiting room:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jacqueline-dooley/six-things-ive-learned-in_b_8246170.html

No comments: