Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 18, 2016

Monday, January 18, 2016

Monday, January 18, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2007. We took Mattie to Calvert Cliffs in Maryland. This wonderful nature preserve was incredibly special and memorable, because after an almost two mile walk along beautiful paths, you come to a beach on the Bay. What this beach is known for is its fossilized sharks teeth. I can't tell you how Mattie and Peter perfected their beach combing skills. Needless to say we never left a visit to Calvert Cliffs without finding a tooth. I still have a collection of these teeth in a Ziploc bag. We have tried visiting Calvert Cliffs after Mattie died, but it was very hard for Peter and rather depressing for us. 


Quote of the day: Death wasn’t a movie where the pretty star faded away with a touch of pale makeup and every hair in place. ~ Soheir Khashoggi


When I saw this quote today, my response to it was..... absolutely! I remember Mattie's sedation nurse angel once said to me.... death happens but it isn't natural. Of course at the time I had no idea what she meant, until I experienced Mattie's six hour death of torture. Movies and TV portray people just dying peacefully, almost like not waking up from sleep. Certainly for many people death is this way. But that isn't the case for everyone and for patients like Mattie who have disease in their lungs, dying almost resembles a slow drowning in one's fluids. Except the drowning isn't quick! 


This evening I received this amazing Mattie composition by our Facebook friend, Tim Beck. Tim always out does himself and when he sends me these masterpieces they are always by surprise! I do not select the photos at all. Tim finds them from Mattie's blog! As I tell Tim all the time.... "I love seeing Mattie through your eyes." Also one of the things I absolutely love, is after receiving Tim's masterpieces, I like to reflect and remember upon the photos he has captured and transformed.

When I received this gift tonight, I have to tell you that at first I couldn't remember where this center photo was taken or the context of the photo. However, as you can see above, the photo was originally taken in April of 2007 at Calvert Cliffs. It is a game I love to play with Tim... Guess what photo this is and then once I guess I do like to share a memory! In this particular case, until I saw this photo tonight, I completely forgot about Mattie's death grips around my neck when he hugged me. The beauty of receiving a gift from Tim, is that I get to see the physical beauty of Mattie and then I have someone who actually listens to my memories that these photographic creations evoke!

No comments: