Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 20, 2016

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2009. One of Mattie's friends brought him this HUGE Scooby Doo balloon. Mattie absolutely LOVED Scooby Doo. In fact, his sixth birthday (pre-cancer), Scooby was the theme of the party! I have to imagine that we watched every single Scooby Doo TV episode and ALL the movies throughout Mattie's cancer battle. Even when Mattie was healthy he was never a couch potato and he wasn't the kind of kid who liked to be connected to technology. Instead Mattie loved exploring his world and was very hands on, and wanted you to be too. This did not change much when he got cancer. Though the medications were toxic and slowed him down, he rarely wanted to just watch TV, and when he did you knew he was sick.


Quote of the day: Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality. Emily Dickinson


Our Facebook friend Tim Beck sent us this photographic creation today. Mattie is at the 8 o'clock position. When I look at this photo, I imagine it rotating clockwise and constantly moving. The one commonality with these 12 children is they all died from cancer. I think that speaks volumes and what you can't see is the immense loss and toll upon the families. Yet through Tim's creations, he lets us know our children have not been forgotten.  

DC is bracing for a blizzard starting on Friday, with about two feet or more of snow predicted. Given that we could be inside for days, I decided to go to the grocery store today. All I can say is WOW! I know the stores get inundated but today was almost scary. The person who checked me out at Safeway told me it has been like this ALL WEEK, as people prepare for the snow. 

One would think that milk, eggs, bread and so forth would be running low. Or at least these were the items in the past that people ran to the store for! NOT this time, what was practically barren were the meat and poultry display cases. Practically empty! It was hard to imagine.

But the fun was the check out line. I took a photo of it because I have NEVER experienced the one line queuing model. Instead of lining up by each cash register, one long line for check out was formed. A line that went around the periphery of the store. I gather this model was started so that people weren't bunching up and backing up by the cash registers. For the most part people complied with this one line model. Yet a few people were confused and jumped the line and waited by the cash register instead. Needless to say, when that happened, a fellow customer would go up to that person and point out that they cut the line and had to go ALL the way in the back of the line and WAIT their turn! 

While I waited my turn and finally got to the cash register, I noticed a woman pop up behind me and a man behind her. The man quickly told her that she cut the line. Now he could have sent her packing! But instead, he explained to her the process and allowed her to stay behind me and in front of him. While I was being checked out, I started talking to both of them. The fellow was a navy officer who graduated from Annapolis. He told us about the many places he was stationed at but what caught our attention is he liked to cook and had great recipes. I thanked him for his service to the Country and he was very happy to be acknowledged but said "of course." As if he wouldn't have it any other way. I really liked the way he treated the lady behind me, his patience, and trying to spare her from waiting long, since she was older than us. So in the midst of what could be chaos, there was order and compassion around me. Mind you when I left the store, Channel 7 pulled in because I have no doubt they saw a potential story here!

No comments: