Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

October 4, 2016

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 -- Mattie died 368 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2006. Mattie was at preschool and each Monday, the children visited the adjacent residential/ nursing home. The name of the residential community is called Goodwin House. As you can see Mattie was dressed up as a calico cat, in honor of our cat Patches!

Also that year, Mattie and his preschool class went to entertain the seniors. They did their rendition of the Three Little Pigs! However, each Monday, Mattie's class visited this residential room and the residents who wanted to come and interact with the children could. Every Monday, I would come into Mattie's classroom and assist the teachers on their journey to the residential facility. It was a journey, because the children needed to get their coats on and walk across a street to get there. So having extra hands to assist with walking and also with activities at Goodwin House was helpful. I did this for many reasons. First of which was I enjoyed interacting with Mattie and his classmates, but second I wanted to support Mattie's school curriculum which involved inter-generational learning. 


Quote of the day: The surprise is that you continue to be surprised.Jill A. Davis


I went to the Mattie Miracle mail box today and inside of it was a letter from Goodwin House. The same facility I wrote about above. I could see the letter was from the director of chaplaincy. Honestly I had no idea what that was about until I got home and read the letter and saw the attached check. A check for $5,000! Goodwin House has a memorial chapel fund that its congregation contributes to, and the group decided to donate their fund to Mattie Miracle. STUNNED!!! I am so surprised because I am not connected to this organization or any of its residents. The letter SPECIFICALLY said that the group was contributing to us because they value our psychosocial mission and services to children with cancer and their families! 

I am deeply touched by this and immediately wrote an email to the director of chaplaincy to thank him, but to also request a personal meeting. I would love for Mattie Miracle to continue this connection, especially since I feel Mattie was once a part of their community. 



Meanwhile on the home front..... check out this TORTITUDE!!! This is what Indie does when she wants to go out. Mind you it isn't only a visual, there is plenty of vocalizations going on!
Picture this with meowing and chirping. Yes Indie chirps. That is a new one for me. She is the master of vocalization! If Sunny is standing between him and the door, she hisses at him making her dominance known! Don't feel sorry for Indie!!! This girl holds her own. 
See our tight rope artist! She is walking around our deck door! She is wonderfully obedient. I left her alone outside today, and could observe her from the window. I would periodically call her name, and she would respond. She is intrigued with what is over the fence, but not eager to venture passed our walls. 
I love watching Indie jump! She seems to be able to graciously jump from 8 feet tall walls with NO PROBLEM! 

No comments: