Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 28, 2017

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. Mattie was home between hospital treatments and had constructed a model of a volcano. Of course the fun part about this volcano was that it erupted. Which for Mattie was probably as much fun to watch as molding the clay and creating the structure. Mattie was the king of hands on play and fortunately he was very good at building and fine motor activities because post-surgery Mattie's mobility was permanently curtailed. I think you can tell by looking at this photo how animated Mattie was about the pending eruption in our dining room! 


Quote of the day: Marriage must fight constantly against a monster which devours everything: routine. ~ Honoré de Balzac


This is NOT an atypical morning in our home. Sunny has a way of migrating onto our bed at 3am to seek attention. He eventually falls back to sleep, but...............

At 3am, Sunny goes to Peter's side. He somehow understands that I am NOT going to pay a bit of attention to him at that hour. He is one smart pooch. He eventually falls back asleep and by the time we are ready to get up...... this is the sight we see! He has a way of taking over a bed. Prior to getting Sunny, if someone said I would have a dog (and a big one at that) sleeping in our bed, I would have said.... NO WAY! But given that I know Sunny is on meds to prevent fleas and ticks and he is brushed every night and sprayed with a poochy dog spray to keep him clean and smelling fresh, I do not mind it so much. Not to mention that he is bathed every four weeks. It is a laborious process to keep Sunny clean, but he just loves being near us so it is worth it. 

Tonight's quote is very spot on. Life in general is about routines and chores, and it really takes a great deal of inner strength to break free from always working. Today I was going to do more work, and Peter literally stopped me and said we should go out. That break in routine seemed to perk me up.

When I came home and did some computer work, I turned around in my desk chair and found my Mattie Miracle staff sitting behind me!!!

1 comment:

Margy Josr said...

Vicki, I love Sunny & Indie. The control they have over your life because you love them. I can't believe you & Peter get any sleep. Sunny is smack down the middle of your bed!sometimes, we think no to something but love win. So Sunny sleeps with you. I think that is great!

I am grateful that despite Mattie's arms and their limited ability, his already had mastered fine motor so could work his fine motor skills.

I am glad, you & Peter were able to spend time together!❤️💐