Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 29, 2017

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. I remember taking this photo as if it were yesterday. Mattie was in the child life playroom with Sally, the story lady! Sally was an incredibly gifted volunteer who visited the hospital almost weekly. Since we lived in the hospital, I always welcomed a Sally day. Sally runs a drama company and literally would come into the hospital to put on productions and skits with the children. She got everyone to participate, parents included. Sometimes she had props, clothing, and musical instruments to reinforce her stories! Mattie LOVED Sally, and Sally appreciated Mattie. Mattie did not like many visitors, but if he heard Sally was outside his door, she was always welcomed in. Which meant that Sally was SPECIAL!  


Quote of the day: Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day. 
It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them. John Grogan


Sunny went to his third obedience class today, out of eight classes in total. The teacher is the same person who taught his Good Canine Citizen prep class in the fall. Many friends have told me that Sunny is very compliant and good natured and doesn't need this class. But my response is ALWAYS.... the class isn't just for Sunny. I haven't owned a dog as an adult before and therefore I feel as if I have a lot to learn in order to be an effective doggie parent. It is true Sunny knows many commands, but that is him! I don't know them, nor do I know how to administer them. In addition there are many non-verbal signs that mean sit, stay, come, down, etc. I am learning all of them..... which is why I enrolled us in the class. 

In the winter months, it is hard to get outside and be motivated. But this class every Sunday, gets me up and moving. It is a good routine, which without it, and most likely would be working instead. I also enjoy meeting the other dogs in class and watching them as they are learning. The dogs are not allowed to interact with each other because it is a training class, which for a social dog like Sunny, is an impossible task! I am learning the art of using certain commands with Sunny such as "leave it" and "no." All important commands, not just for managing dog interaction issues, but all kinds of issues a dog can get into trouble with at home and in our daily life. 

The teacher approached me prior to class starting and wanted to let me know how much improvement she sees in me as a handler. That meant a lot, and I do think Sunny and I are a good pair. Though compliant, he has a stubborn streak and also can get distracted at times by the need to socialize with other dogs. Just like managing a toddler, you also have to remain calm and assertive when working with a dog. Both toddlers and dogs really do look to you for guidance and to set limits and parameters on their activities and how they interact with the world. Having this insight raising Mattie, does in a way help me with Sunny. Mind you I am not equating a child to a dog, or Mattie to Sunny, but I am talking about the skill set one develops as a caregiver. Regardless of whom or what you are providing the care to, there are transferable skills.

No comments: