Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 24, 2018

Sunday, June 23, 2018

Sunday, June 23, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2007. That summer we took Mattie to visit my parents in Los Angeles, and then we all went to San Diego for a few days. Mattie was a boy on the go, so in the afternoon after touring around, he and Peter would go into the hotel pool together. Mattie was learning how to swim. He was cautious in the water, but was getting the hang of it with practice.



Quote of the day: We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee.Marian Wright Edelman



I am safely in Los Angeles! I literally woke up at 4am this morning to catch a 7am flight. You would think on a Sunday at that hour that the airport would be quiet. Think again! It was a zoo! The flight was bumpy and by the time I landed I was nauseous! 

However, look who was my seat mate! I frankly did not know who he was until about 3/4 of the way into the flight. We spoke for a good chunk of the flight about his life in New Orleans and his non-profit which helps at risk males ages 12-15. Along our conversation he mentioned basketball. Naturally when looking at him, he has the physique of an athlete, which I made mental note of. But remember I am NOT a sports fan! 

Needless to say I sat next to Robert Pack, who had a long 15 year career as a professional basketball player. Now he is a coach for the NBA. I never spoke to a professional NBA player before, but what was so captivating about Robert was how eloquent, down to earth, level headed, and bright he is. I enjoyed hearing about his life and I truly think he has the making of a great motivational speaker. Of course in the process we spoke about Mattie Miracle. So I would say in addition to a long flight and a bumpy one, it was wonderful to meet a success story like Robert. Given his humble beginnings, he is a role model for other children growing up in the inner city and I am touched by the fact that Robert wants to give back to his community and make a positive difference. Truly an amazing man first, who happens to be an athlete. 

My parents are moving out of their home on July 7th. Today, I toured with them the house they will be moving into. There is a lot to do, which I am sure I will be reporting on over the next few weeks. Given all that has to be done, I have extended my trip. 

Meanwhile, check out who is pining over my absence. I have never seen Sunny sit on the staircase before. After Peter dropped me off at the airport, this is what he came home to!
Someone is sleeping on my side of the bed!!

No comments: