Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 4, 2018

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 -- Mattie died 459 weeks ago today. 

August 2007 - This photo was taken in San Diego in 2007. We went to Coronado Island and had a wonderful visit. It was a hot August so Mattie spent a lot of time in the pool.


Quote of the day: If you feel rooted in your home and family, if you're active in your community, there's nothing more empowering. The best way to make a difference in the world is to start by making a difference in your own life.  Julia Louis-

AllY'all

It is Peter writing tonight. As some of you know, Vicki is helping her parents move out of their home in Burbank, and their internet has been turned off for the move, so I have received the field promotion to post tonight...

I do not have much to say at this hour other than Vicki is working beyond her capacity to support her parents and their move. With that said, I am challenged to find a time when Vicki has not worked beyond her capacity to help someone in some capacity. It's how she rolls...

Last night, one of my dear friends, Ann Henshaw (Quincy native and a fellow Bostonian), got tickets to the Red Sox vs. Nationals game, and she asked me (and Vicki) to come. The last time the Sox played the Nats at Nats Park was 2009, and I took Mattie to two of those games. It bought back a lot of memories needless to say, none of which I will go into at this point. 

I had a good time being back at the ballpark, and in honor of both my teams, I wore a Nats shirt and a Sox hat. It was quite funny because I was cheering for both teams, so whenever something happened, regardless of which team, I was up and cheering and yet was conflicted all at the same time. A true existential moment. It was a good night, and I thank Ann for once again including me.


Some "atmosphere" shots from the Sox-Nats game. 

I am thinking I should create a major league baseball jersey called the "NatSox" and feature on one half the Nationals uniform and on the other half the Red Sox uniform. I think it would sell. Yes?! Thoughts?





























In usual form, Sunny demanded to walk... in the 96 degree heat and 48% humidity no less... I have learned to dial Sunny back when it is really hot in DC, and on the walks. I take the shorter routes because like Vicki, Sunny just goes and goes and goes, and will literally fall to the ground in exhaustion (like Vicki) unless I intervene and prevent him (think 'them') from burning out. Both he and Vicki share this trait....

Afterwards, Sunny has learned to promptly go sit on the AC vent coming out of the floor in the living room. Sunny is there for at least a hour soaking in the cool air and cooling down. One smart dog....




Later in the day some thunder storms started popping up, and with the noise of the thunder, "Captain Courageous" became a little unglued...

Sunny does not like thunder and bolts whenever he hears it. Take a look at the look in his eyes... it speaks volumes.




Last shot: I take Sunny out every night around 9-ish for the last walk of the day. It normally consists of Sunny hunting and chasing the plethora of rats that are omnipresent in DC. However tonight, when we returned back into the commons area of our complex, Sunny heard/spotted something in the ivy and took off like a rocket. This shot I think captures the Sun Man in his "focused" mode...


No comments: