Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 15, 2018

Saturday, December 15, 2018

Saturday, December 15, 2018

Tonight's picture was taken at a friend's birthday party in January of 2009. Mattie was invited to celebrate her 7th birthday. Mattie handled the party rather well considering there were a lot of children, noise, and a good percentage of people he did not know. Nonetheless, Mattie got into the spirit of the fun with face painting, games, and crafts. In my mind, Mattie and his friends will always be 7, the age that Mattie died. Yet, the reality is that Mattie's friends are turning 17 years old and soon will be graduating from high school. It is hard to believe that Mattie (as did we) missed out on experiencing elementary, middle, and high school.   




Quote of the day: The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow



Longfellow's quote made me laugh when I read it. Washington, DC has been inundated with rain since this spring. I will never forget that our Annual Walk in May was the ONLY sunny and non-raining day in that whole month this year. 

I can't take it..... as it is another wash out of a weekend. Non stop rain, that is depressing to see and makes you want to never leave home.

Sunny and Indie are now in boarding care, as we leave tomorrow. It is always hard saying good-bye to our pets and poor Sunny, he is such an emotional and anxious beast. He takes boarding much harder than Indie. Indie is truly easy going and appreciative of whatever you give her. 

Sunny doesn't visit Dogtopia often, as I never put him in daycare. However, the staff know him because this is where he stays when we travel. When we walked in the door today, Sunny got a big greeting from a staff member. She knew exactly who he was. I find this interesting because the last time Sunny was there was in June. But I do think Sunny is a memorable and loving fellow and I am happy that the staff have his number. They also know that he goes on a hunger strike while we are away. This time I even provided tupperware filled with cooked ground beef and ground turkey, to have with his meals while we are away. In hopes that he will eat! 

As Peter reminds me, if it weren't for me, Sunny would have been euthanized. As he was 5 years old (most people want to adopt puppies) and though his adorable face was being advertised, no one wanted to adopt him. Until I came along. I fell in love with Sunny through a Facebook posting. I just knew he'd make a great family dog and he hasn't disappointed! 

No comments: