Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 21, 2019

Monday, January 21, 2019

Monday, January 21, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in February of 2009. You may not know what you are looking at here! But this was a typical physical therapy session for Mattie! If we expected Mattie to do something, then we had to be willing to do it ourselves. So literally myself and Anna (Mattie's physical therapist) were on the floor playing the game twister. Mattie was calling out directions to us and he was holding us accountable! We learned early on that Mattie responded to competition! So if I reported that I did three of something, then Mattie would work hard to beat my physical achievement. In essence, I did whatever it took to keep Mattie motivated and focused on recovery. 


Quote of the day: Yours is the light by which my spirit's born: - you are my sun, my moon, and all my stars. ~ E. E. Cummings


It was frigid in Washington, DC last night, but that did not stop us from going out  to try to watch the lunar eclipse. Even Sunny was in on it!








Related imageTo me this is a helpful diagram that explains the phenomenon we saw last night. Now a days we understand the science behind such a lunar event, but I can't imagine what people thought was happening centuries ago when they saw the moon disappear from the night sky! Or worse, turn red!

This photo was taken in our common's area. I would have to say the sky wasn't black, but a more grayish blue! Earth’s atmosphere is responsible for the Moon’s color change during the eclipse. As sunlight passes through it, the small molecules that make up our atmosphere scatter blue light, which is why the sky appears blue. This leaves behind mostly red light that bends, or refracts, into Earth’s shadow. We can see the red light during an eclipse as it falls onto the Moon in Earth’s shadow.

Peter captured this Super wolf blood Moon. According to the Old Farmer’s Almanac, the January full Moon was dubbed the “wolf” Moon by native Americans because it occurred at a time of year when wolves would be howling with hunger.

Here you can slowly see the shadow from the earth engulfing the glowing white moon. 

Almost fully in the shade!
Basically the earth's shadow has covered the moon! 

I have to admit, if it weren't for Peter, I wouldn't have seen this. Because it was frigid out. But his excitement got me up and out! Even Sunny and Indie wanted to know what was going on! As the moon is our special symbol for Mattie, I would have to say he put on quite a show for us!

No comments: