Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 29, 2019

Friday, March 29, 2019

Friday, March 29, 2019

As we approach Mattie's birthday next week, I begin a series of photos on the blog. A series that highlights each of Mattie's 7 birthdays with us. This of course was Mattie's BIRTHday on April 4, 2002. A day I will never forget. As I was in labor for over 48 hours, and finally had to have an emergency c-section, because of a high fever and Mattie not making progress. When they pulled Mattie out of me, I heard the doctor say.... 'this is interesting.' Not exactly what you want to hear. What she was seeing was a grapefruit sized tumor on my bladder. She delivered Mattie, I got to touch his little foot first, and then he and Peter went to the nursery, while I underwent for bladder surgery. 




Quote of the day: If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. ~ James O’Barr


My day started with receiving this beautiful gift of flowers. Georgetown University Hospital sent them to me. They sent it to wish me a good recovery and to thank me for taking the time to write four letters to the hospital. As you may recall from a previous blog posting, I had a very negative experience with the person who did a financial intake with me for kidney surgery. I posted the letter on the blog on March 14th.

However, after my surgery, I submitted three letters nominating two doctors and a nurse for SPIRIT awards. What I really love about the flowers, is the fact that there is some orange in them..... our Foundation color. 

I snapped a photo of the highway! Driving South from DC, is much easier than North. The Northeast is very congested and makes for stressful driving. The feeling is very different going South. Notice no buildings and signage along the roads. It provides for more natural beauty. 


It is about a 4.5 hour drive from DC to Raleigh, NC. Where we are staying tonight on route to South Carolina tomorrow. You can see Raleigh in the distance. 
Raleigh up close. The funny part about this is I love watching the HGTV show, Love it or List it. The majority of their house renovations are in Raleigh. After visiting Raleigh last June, I immediately recognized some of the landmarks seen on the show. 
Snapping photos while in the car!

















Tonight we are having dinner at Second Empire. A restaurant located in Dodd Hinsdale House.  Its architectural style is Second Empire Victorian, a style developed in France under Napoleon III and marked by heavy ornate modification of Empire styles. The interior of the home has fourteen foot ceilings and deep bay windows.

The home was originally built for Mayor William H. Dodd on a lot given to him by his parents in 1871. The home was completed in 1879 and soon thereafter was lost by the Dodd Family due to financial reversals. In 1890, the house was purchased by Col. John W. Hinsdale. Everyday living for the Hinsdale family was formal. Assisted by a butler and a cook, every meal was served in the dining room with the good silver and china. The vestiges of southern hospitality remained in the Hinsdale house throughout its ninety-year history, always serving as a gathering place for family members and symbolizing, through its solid masonry walls, the solidarity of the Hinsdale Family. The house remained in the Hinsdale family until John, a son and the last Hinsdale, died in 1971 at the age of 92.

No comments: