Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 24, 2019

Sunday, March 24 , 2019

Sunday, March 24, 2019

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2003. Mattie was a year old and a live wire. Peter was trying to take a photo of us and Mattie was twisting and twirling in my arms. I remember those moments so well and the sheer energy Mattie possessed. 




Quote of the day: Your strongest muscle and worst enemy is your mind. Train it well. ~ Unknown


After the pain of yesterday, the only alternative today was that there would be improvement. I am feeling better than I was on Thursday, but I would say that the stent (which extends from my kidney down to my bladder) is not comfortable. I find it hard to walk with it, I move slower, and I tire more easily. The stent gets removed tomorrow, and I am wide awake for this procedure. So more fun to begin the week. 

We all went to visit Mattie's memorial tree today. This is the fourth tree we have planted since 2010. Each of the other trees had an issue. But with that said, two of the old trees still stand on campus. One of which is a Yellowwood tree and it stands right next to Mattie's new White Swamp Oak tree. 


This is the old Yellowwood tree. It turns out that people at school are decorating the old tree too. So today, we put donut ornaments on the old tree, as well as decorated the new tree. 

Mattie loved donuts during his cancer journey. So we thought he would approve of donut ornaments on the tree for his upcoming 17th birthday. The donuts are made out of foam, but I swear they smell like a real donut. 
This is Mattie's White Swamp Oak tree. Do you see the cupcake ornaments hanging from it? We also bought a new wind chime and attached it to the Yellowwood tree. I love the chimes because to me it makes the tree area magical and twinkling with the wind. 
At the base of each tree are spring flowers. We planted all sorts of bulbs in the Fall, and it was nice to see the crocus and daffodils today. Sprouting up to celebrate Mattie's birthday. 

No comments: