Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

February 23, 2021

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Tuesday, February 23, 2021 -- Mattie died 595 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in March of 2008. Literally four months before Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. I went with Mattie and his kindergarten class on a field trip to Glen Echo park in Maryland. The kids got to have a bit of a ecological adventure. I am very happy that I went on all class trips that year, because if I waited or put it off, I would have missed out on the experience completely. 

Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 28,239,571
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 502,005


Another busy day! Something I couldn't report last week, as it took great effort to just move from my bed to a chair. I was just so congested and tired. Big difference this week. Back and going full speed ahead. Getting lots of things done for the Foundation, including the completion of our CFC (Combined Federal Campaign, like the United Way, but for government employees) application. Emails, questions about our research grants, making connections from one research team to another, and of course my attention is on our annual Foundation Walk. 

I would have never thought that our in person event could be migrated over to a virtual event, but we were forced to do this in 2020. In 2020, we also had an on-line raffle, the only difference is I had solicited companies and businesses early on in 2019, so that I had actual items donated and could easily raffle off. This year, trying to get businesses to donate items toward our raffle is challenging at best. Many people are telling me that they are struggling because of the Pandemic and therefore unable to offer in kind donations to non-profits this year. I absolutely appreciate the quandary. 

In any case, me and our Foundation raffle chair are brainstorming all sorts of NEW ideas to add to our raffle this year. Obviously dining around town and other public activities that we used to feature aren't happening. But did you know there are many companies that have popped up this year offering virtual events. Events such as cooking classes, fitness classes, tea parties, wine tastings, trivia nights, and yes even chocolate tastings! Of course the logistics are a bit complicated with wine, food, and chocolate, as you have to arrange for these items to be boxed and shipped to each participant. Boxes aren't cheap, almost close to the cost of the class by the time you finish!

Any case, I find it fascinating that when forced to think outside the box, we can rise to the challenge as human beings. I can assure you that because of the Pandemic, I was inspired out of necessity to find a way to make our event virtual. I am hoping that that same feeling of necessity also kicks in for us this year with our raffle. Which leads me to what I was hearing on the radio today while walking Sunny. The commentator was talking about the difference between doing a job and selecting a career. As he felt that selecting a career is almost like a calling and when you find your calling, it doesn't feel like work. It is something that drives you forward, even when others think what you are doing is unusual or not in line with how others are thinking or running their businesses, companies, schools, etc (pick a place). 

This notion wasn't novel to me, as my dad has said that to me since I was a child. He really believed in the importance of following your calling or passion. I am not sure that my calling was always within me, or if my calling to run a Foundation was inspired by Mattie. But I do know that Mattie was my greatest teacher and inspiration, and the rest unfolds because of that love. 

No comments: