Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 27, 2021

Saturday, March 27, 2021

Saturday, March 27, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken on Easter of 2004. We took Mattie to the US Botanical Gardens in Washington, DC. April is a special time at the Gardens because the azaleas are blooming! I always told Mattie these flowers came out to celebrate his birthday month! He liked hearing that! Whenever we went on a nature walk, Mattie always came home with something he found. That day, he claimed two dandelions and to me this picture shows two happy campers. 





Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 30,218,228
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 548,825


Today I got up at 4am in order to get to the airport in time for my 7am flight to Los Angeles. Both Indie and Sunny were NOT pleased with my departure. 
Sunny knew immediately when I got up first that something was very wrong today. He took to our bed to stay close and keep his eyes on us. 
Peter sent me this photo! Sunny gets a bit anxious when I am not around. It was a 5.5 hour flight to Los Angeles, and as soon as I got to my parent's house, I hit the ground running. 

My dad needed a haircut and his nails trimmed. Both were way too long. I have showed his caregivers how to do both, and yet they don't! Which is why I can't stay away from here very long. My mom needs a break from the ridiculous pace here. So now my days once again begin at 6am starting tomorrow. 

We took my dad out to lunch today. He is eating much better now and has gained back weight. Which is a great improvement from 2020, after his two hospitalizations. He truly looked emaciated back then. 

After lunch, I came back to their home and did more chores. Starting with hand washing their car and vacuuming the inside. But now I feel like I overdid it, and considering I have been struggling with a migraine and cluster headache for two weeks now, I have to stop for today. 



1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Your dad definitely looks better. Try and pace yourself. I know there is so much to catch up on while you are there, but be a little bit easier on yourself. It's okay.