Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

March 28, 2021

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken at Bunnyland in 2005. Bunnyland was a spring festival held annually at Butler's Orchard in Maryland. It was a festival that had an activity for everyone in the family. I loved these bales of hay decorated for the season and I am so glad that Peter captured this special moment in time. Mattie was close to three years old, full of life, energy, and wanted to take in the world around him. I loved seeing the world through his eyes. 





Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 30,256,895
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 549,294


I absolutely love this huge aloe plant in my parent's backyard. So far it has been two days of sunshine and 80 degree weather. Really remarkable in March. It was my first full day in Los Angeles. Which means that my day started at 6am. I actually am not, nor ever have been, a morning person. So getting up seven days a week at this hour and then working non-stop throughout the day is a big adjustment. I came to LA with a migraine and cluster headache and this alone is debilitating. But add little sleep and caregiving, and it won't improve how I am physically feeling. 

When my dad's caregiver arrived this morning, she spoke to me for about 45 minutes to catch me up. I am glad that my mom slept in and I am encouraging her to do this daily, as the pace here and managing my dad's needs 24 by 7 is exhausting. 

Though you would think having caregivers helps and gives us four hours to get things done, unfortunately it doesn't. Managing caregivers, their needs, and demands really adds an additional layer of complexity, to an already complex situation. Today's story was I learned that my dad's other caregiver does NOT like going up and down my parent's staircase (from first to second floor). She does this about twice or three times a day, depending on what needs to get done. This woman is younger than me, has no disabilities, and therefore, I really found the comment ridiculous and inappropriate. Honestly! What does she want? I dismissed the comment, but this kind of commentary and feedback, I hear regularly. It's NOT helpful!

I have tried to explain to my dad how hard it is for my mom to balance everything and his caregivers. I can appreciate his perspective as to why he wants the caregivers around, but unfortunately he can't understand the feedback we are giving him. My dad tried to describe his morning routine to me. As if I had no idea about the routine! FUNNY since I am the person who created the routine, starting with figuring out the best and safest way to shower him. He doesn't recall my role in this and that I was the first person post-hospitalization to shower and dress him. I am also the one who established cognitive brain games right after breakfast. It is fine that my dad doesn't remember my role in this, but I feel it is important to remind him of this because when I make decisions or recommendations about his care, it is because I am intimately involved in it from day one. 

So during the time my dad's caregiver was here, I was involved with his brain games, his twenty minute walk up and down the block, folding laundry and the list goes on. The point is, whether she is here or not here, a family member really does need to be present to oversee the day. Meanwhile my dad's Irritable Bowel Syndrome is becoming harder to manage. I personally feel like my dad had this issue all my life! It is just harder now because he moves slowly and can't make it the bathroom fast enough. He also doesn't have the same sensation as when he was younger, so he can't anticipate that he will be having a bowel movement imminently. Needless to say, I dealt with quite a horrible mess. 

Meanwhile, Peter sent me this photo! Look closely. Do you see all the deer? Sunny had a great time on Roosevelt Island today and I love the photos from Peter, as it makes me feel like I am sharing his day with him. 


1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Oh my goodness. My heart is aching for you. I never had to clean up my dad, and I cannot imagine how utterly hard this must be for you. I'm so sorry.