Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 21, 2021

Monday, June 21, 2021

Monday, June 21, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2004. Mattie was two years old and we took him to Boston to visit Peter's parents. That particular day we went to the Stone Zoo. After the zoo trip, we went through the McDonald's drive thru so Mattie could get French fries and a shake. For the first several years of Mattie's life, I sat in the back seat with him while we were driving. Somehow I felt that my presence was needed back there, and typically I was either playing with Mattie, giving him a snack, or just providing supervision. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins.

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 33,553,434
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 602,069


Peter got up early this morning and picked up Indie from boarding around 7:30am. By 9am, we were ready to leave the apartment and we headed to Oakton to meet a bathroom designer/contractor. I honestly have seen so many HGTV shows that I feel like I have become part designer. Or at least I know what I want. We shall see if I have the fortitude and patience to get it! After meeting with the designer, we then went to pick up Sunny from boarding. Sunny couldn't wait to get out of the facility! In fact, he made a b-line for the door with Peter, while I stayed behind to gather his Tupperware of foods and other materials. 

Sunny spent the majority of the day at the new house. He feel right at home. You should have seen him greeting the locksmith and the ADT alarm fellow. As if Sunny has always lived here. He has taken to it like a duck to water. Needless to say, Peter and I had a very busy day that entailed no eating. By the time we got back to DC after 6pm, I felt ill. With a migraine to beat the band. Somehow I need a better strategy because we will be having many long weeks ahead with getting the house ready, packing, moving, and living through renovations. 

However, my hunch was correct! Not only do the bathrooms need to be gutted because they are not esthetically pleasing, they also are NO longer to code! As for the locksmith, he spent 4 hours with us. He wasn't pleased at all by the locks that were on the doors of the house. They were flimsy and thankfully he worked with us to correct that today. 

The former owners of the house mailed this wooden plaque to us. It says:


Home is where the heart is. 

The Brown's, Oakton, VA. 

Vicki & Peter, Established 2021




No comments: