Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 20, 2021

Sunday, June 20, 2021

Sunday, June 20, 2021

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2003. It was close to the Fourth of July and Mattie was on the beach of North Carolina dressed in his holiday reds. As it was Mattie's first trip to the beach, I think we spent about five minutes there the whole trip! This being one of those moments in order to capture photo documentation of our trip. I was into photographs when I was pregnant and thereafter when Mattie was born. In retrospect, I am so glad I did this because our photos capture precious times together that serve as constant reminders of our time as a family. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 33,540,362
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 601,801



Peter and I had a hard time sleeping in the hotel's bed. It gave us a backache and we were tossing and turning for most of the night. By 7am, we had it and got up and ready. We were on the road by 9:30am headed back home to Washington, DC. 

It was raining the entire time we were driving in North Carolina. Thankfully the sun came out in Virginia. But we had a harrowing journey as there were lots of accidents and one literally right in front of us. A car spun out, flew over the barrier, and we were lucky that it did not impact us or cause a catastrophic pile up of cars. Literally after witnessing this, it triggered a migraine. 

We were in the car for about 4.5 hours today, after an over five hour car trip yesterday. By the time we were in Richmond, Virginia, I was ready to jump out of the car. But of course, I had to hang in there for two more hours. 

Driving through Richmond, VA. Traffic near Richmond was a nightmare. It was like driving in a parking lot. Thankfully we are home safely and as soon as I got home, I took migraine meds and anti-nausea meds. 

Not the best Father's Days for Peter, but I think he and I are both used to these holidays being challenging regardless of what we are doing. 

No comments: