Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 13, 2021

Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Tuesday, July 13, 2021 -- Mattie died 615 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2009. That day a friend dropped off a gift for Mattie. It was a figure of Sponge Bob make out of wood. The joke between Mattie and me was that I did not like Sponge Bob, so naturally that made Mattie even more curious about this TV character. In any case, Mattie was trying to mimic Sponge Bob's face/expression, so I of course snapped a photo to capture that moment in time. 


Quote of the day: Today's coronavirus update from Johns Hopkins

  • Number of people diagnosed with the virus: 33,908,153
  • Number of people who died from the virus: 607,715


Another crazy day on the "farm." Since the house is located on a street that has Farm in its name, we have gotten into calling the house, the farm! Seems rather fitting given the early hours and non-stop work. Today was no different! In between juggling the alarm company and the roofing company, I decided to finish lining the kitchen cabinets, and I cleaned all the cabinets and drawers in the laundry room and all the bathrooms. 

From initial view, the roof on the house looks new. In theory it is new, however, it is clear that the roof replacement was not done by a roofing company. I suspect the former owner used a contractor friend, and as such, issues have already turned up. The roofer today walked me through each of the problems, which was no easy task since it feels like over 100 degrees outside. We have gotten multiple estimates on just about every issue we have, so that we can make some intelligent decisions about next steps. 

Tomorrow the fun begins. The painting team arrives and for the next three weeks, we will be spending less time at the house, since I don't want to get under foot of the painters nor do I want to smell paint. In parallel, the tile floors are getting professionally cleaned and sealed, and the first floor wood floors are going to get sanded, re-stained, and sealed. A lot is going to be happening over this next month. However, I am not sure what is worse! Cleaning out the house, to get it ready to move in, or cleaning out our home in DC. We have lived in DC for 26 years! I really think the latter will be MUCH harder, as this means I have to go through Mattie's things again. Over the 12 years since Mattie died, I have pared down many of his things, but I have to be in the mood to take on this difficult task. Frankly right now I am tired and going through things to decide whether to donate them or throw them away seems down right daunting. 

No comments: