Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 25, 2022

Monday, April 25, 2022

Monday, April 25, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken on Easter of 2009. Two friends from Mattie's school visited the hospital that day and brought Mattie an Easter basket and coordinated an Easter egg hunt in the hospital hallways. Mattie loved it. You can see Mattie's final product..... a filled basket! Of course his friends knew Mattie did not like candy, so the plastic Easter eggs were filled with little trinkets and toys. 







Quote of the day: One person caring about another represents life’s greatest value. ~ Jim Rohn


Another crazy day. I frankly don't know how I string two words together or get anything done. As usual, I got my dad, up, washed, dressed, and downstairs for breakfast. What I don't mention is in between all of this the cleaning of the bathroom, making of beds, and doing laundry. These are things I do daily, sometimes more than once! 

I dropped my dad off at the memory care center this morning and then headed to the grocery store. My dad's last visit with his occupational therapist is tomorrow, and I wanted to buy her a plant and card to thank her. She has been working with us since December and she is the one who identified that my dad had a heart issue! I tell her often that she saved my dad's life. 

When I brought the groceries home, my mom wanted to go out. She wanted to drive herself. I have great concerns about this, but I realize I can only say so much. She has to figure out things for herself. We plugged in the shopping mall into her GPS. Actually getting to the mall from our home is easy. It requires no highway driving. Anyway, long story short, my mom got lost and landed up on the highway. Fortunately we can track her on her cell phone and Peter eventually was able to get her on the phone and help her navigate. Needless to say, I got little done today, because I was jumping from one issue to the next. 

Despite all I am juggling, I did a lot of cooking today.... I made homemade tomato soup, a chicken meatloaf, and zucchini in tomato sauce. Since Peter was gone all last week, we went out a lot and I did little cooking. I am back to cooking this week. 

We got a hold of Sunny's vet today. He has told us that he wants us to consult with an oncologist! Honestly you have to be kidding me! Mind you the first available oncology appointment is in mid-May, which is ridiculous if you are talking about cancer. So we did a lot of complaining and also reached out to Sunny's surgeon (she performed two knee repairs on him). She is going to try to help us too. As if life isn't complicated enough, now I have to worry about Sunny potentially having cancer. Why can't the vet be more optimistic, after all masses aren't always cancerous. Perhaps he knows more than he is saying, but overall I AM NOT HAPPY!

No comments: