Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 29, 2022

Friday, April 29, 2022

Friday, April 29, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2007. Mattie was five years old and that weekend we took him to Luray Caverns. It was Mattie's first trip inside a cavern. He was scared at first because it was dark and frankly spooky inside, but he was also fascinated by the whole experience. Mattie was always up for an adventure and to explore the world around him. 


Quote of the day: Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. ~ Robert J. Sawyer


I got my dad up, showered, dressed, downstairs for breakfast and then to the memory care center. Then I came back home and walked Sunny for 90 minutes. After the walk, I drove my mom to Georgetown to get her hair and nails done. Georgetown was a complete zoo today as they were having their French Market. Which basically means that all the stores feature some of their products curbside. 

Hoards of people and parking was a nightmare. I dropped my mom off at the salon and it took me 45 minutes to park. Then about a twenty minute walk from the parking area to the salon. I assure you all of this stressed me out to know end, as I feel like I am on a constant treadmill, trying to meet everyone's needs. 

While my mom was getting her hair done, I got my nails done. I haven't done this since November. I know the manicurist well, as I have been going to her for over 13 years. Her sister used to do my hair, before she retired. I went to the salon with my mom because I have tried other arrangements, and nothing worked. So now it is just easier to go and stay. Next week I am going back to get my hair cut. I haven't done this in a year. The person who cuts my hair suggested I come alone, because I deserve my OWN time. 

It is now 10:45pm, and this is my first time sitting down at the computer all day. This is absolutely unheard of for me during fundraising season! As typically I am working and focused around the clock on sponsors and drumming up money for the Foundation. Of course, in the past, I always wondered whether my leadership was important in fundraising season, now unfortunately because of my circumstances, I am answering my own question. I am pulled every which way now and it makes it close to impossible to get work down, much less fundraise. Which is why we are behind our targeted financial goal. I can easily determine this based on my tracking of funds generated at this time from the past several years. This of course is DEEPLY disturbing, troubling, and frustrating for me. 

Because April is fundraising season for me, I never heard of French Market day in Georgetown. Mind you I lived minutes from Georgetown for over twenty years. I am not sure how I could be this clueless with something happening (for decades) in my own neighborhood, but I am proof that it happens. 

No comments: