Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

June 30, 2022

Thursday, June 30, 2022

Thursday, June 30, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2006. Mattie was four years old and that day we took him to one of his favorite restaurants in Maryland. Ironically, we now visit this restaurant weekly, as Dawn (a server who does a great job caring for my parents) works there. Of course I remember this moment in time vividly. Unlike me, Mattie wasn't motivated by food. So I always had to bring a bag of activities with me to keep Mattie's body and mind focused and at the table. 


Quote of the day: Tired, tired with nothing, tired with everything, tired with the world’s weight he had never chosen to bear. ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald


Today was the kind of day that if I knew how it was going to play out, I should have stayed in bed. I dragged myself out of bed today, got myself ready, breakfast made, cleaned up, and then got my dad up to shower. While I was getting him up, the doorbell rang. I ran downstairs as it was the refrigerator repairman. Then ran back upstairs to get my dad ready. 

After breakfast, I did my dad's brain games with him and then let him rest in his recliner, because I had to take my mom to her physical therapy appointment. This was her second session. Frankly I do not care for my mom's therapist, but since she likes her, I just go with it. 

In the midst of waiting for my mom at her session, Peter messaged me that Sunny wasn't doing well. There wasn't much I could do about that while waiting in the therapy area, as phone calls aren't allowed! Of course that doesn't stop some patients, one of whom I wanted to smack today. She was talking loud and a mile a minute. 

What I forgot to mention was my mom wanted to drive HERSELF to therapy. She drove and I was in the passenger seat. By the time I got to the clinic, I was a basket case. It was a 15 minute ride, but by the time I got there, I was nauseous and had a migraine. I am trying to convince my mom that her driving days are over, but her insight about herself and her abilities are not in line with the actual reality. 

Once therapy was over, we ran some chores and then headed home to pick up my dad and go to lunch. By the time we got home, my mom was complaining that her right hand hurt. But she thought the pain would go away! FYI.... It DIDN'T! 

Before I left for lunch, I called Sunny's vet. Because of the volume of patients they have, the phone system can be very challenging. I literally used three phones to get through. I left a detailed message and expected a call back. Mind you on Tuesday, I had a disagreement with the nurse because she was arguing with me about Sunny's diet! She feels he needs more fiber and that his lack of a balanced diet helps to explain his diarrhea and nausea. She needs a 411..... Sunny is on chemo and this is impacting how he feels, NOT his diet. Someone has to give me strength. 

A nurse called Peter back today while I was out with my parents and prescribed an appetite stimulator. I was LIVID. Sunny has an issue with chemo, and instead these nurses keep adding bandaids to a BIG problem, without addressing the cause. Needless to say, the vet himself called me today and I went off on him. He understood me, and also felt that I was correct, the problem is the chemo. So Sunny is taking a week's break from chemo, in hopes that we can stabilize him. Then we will discuss another oral chemo. 

In addition to Sunny having a bad chemo reaction today, my dad had five bouts of diarrhea, and I had to take my mom to urgent care tonight because her hand swelled and she couldn't use her thumb or wrist.  

I figured urgent care would be quicker and helpful. Wrong! In fact, I rather wait hours in an ER than go to urgent care again. The quality of physician is poor to say the least. They did take three x-rays, but the doctor couldn't determine if she has a hairline fracture, or whether it is just arthritis. In any case, my mom is in terrible pain and can't do anything for herself now. So I undressed her tonight and helped her brush her teeth. 

When I brought my mom home from urgent care, my dad seemed more concerned about his own needs and was ready to go upstairs to bed. It was a juggling act helping my mom and getting my dad to bed at the same time. I am honestly frazzled and today landed up having fits of screaming, as I am tired and stressed out. Not that my daily routine isn't bad enough, but I forgot to mention that Sunny woke us up at 2am as he had diarrhea. Therefore, I have no peace by day or night. 

No comments: