Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 1, 2022

Friday, July 1, 2022

Friday, July 1, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in June of 2005. Mattie was three years old. Peter's mom gave Mattie this cute dolphin swimming pool! It fit nicely on our deck and Mattie enjoyed countless hours outside with the water and his toys. Mattie had a creative mind and he loved to pull me into his antics. 

I miss so many aspects of our townhouse in Washington, DC. It was our home for over two decades and it held so many Mattie memories. Whenever I drive passed our townhouse now, I always wonder.... who is living there? I realize the space belongs to someone else now, but to me it will always be Mattie's home. 


Quote of the day: The worst thing about being tired is the negative twist of perception.Rosamond Rice


Though going to bed late and getting up early, I was able to function. I checked on my mom at 6:45am, and she was up and operational. Her hand is still somewhat swollen, but it is better than last night. She also has the ability to use her hand today. The hand brace, ice, Tylenol and Advil helped. I also am a big fan of arnica gel (a natural alternative that I find is helpful for pain, inflammation, and bruising). I lathered that all over my mom's hand before placing her hand in the brace. Who knows what's working, but I am going with it. 

After I dropped my dad off at his memory care center, two of my friends came to visit. I honestly wasn't sure if I would have the energy, but what I found is their visit helped to change the tone in my house. It went from stressful and moody to one with more life and joy. They were with us for about three hours and I found it restorative. Even Sunny enjoyed the company. Despite it being hot outside, we sat outside on our porch, chatted, and I got to hear about things other than the usual stuff. Not jumping up every two seconds to deal with bathroom issues was a thrill!  

Later in the day, I took my parents out to lunch. While at the restaurant, there was a horrific rain storm. We waited it out and thankfully it stopped. Here is what I saw on the way home, a beautiful rainbow! 


No comments: