Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 1, 2022

Thursday, September 1, 2022

Thursday, September 1, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken on September 1, 2009. Putting this into context, seven days later, Mattie died. Pictured with Mattie was Jenny, one of Mattie's art therapists. Mattie was in tremendous pain and Jenny was doing her best to try to distract Mattie with a remote controlled dinosaur. Mattie was watching and trying his best, but he had his pain pump next to him and was miserable. 


Quote of the day: I have a theory about the human mind. A brain is a lot like a computer. It will only take so many facts, and then it will go on overload and blow up. ~ Erma Bombeck


At 7:30am, I got a call from Mattie's doctor. Peter and I are very fond of her and we support a child life professional at her hospital. She wanted me to know that our wonderful child life professional has left for personal family issues. I am deeply saddened by this because we loved her and she represented Mattie Miracle's mission beautifully. In addition to this huge loss, I got an education about the health care field post COVID. Apparently there are 200 vacant child life professional positions throughout the country! They just can't be filled mainly because child life professionals have become burnt out from overwork during COVID, they aren't paid enough, and many would rather have an office job or work from home. Of course I do not know how one does child life work from behind a desk, as child life is very hands on and uses education, medical play, and distraction techniques to help children cope with testing, treatment, and other difficult hospital experiences. This leaves me wondering the health of our endowed programs! So that did not start the day off on a positive note. 

In addition, Mattie's doctor told me that emergency rooms are so short staffed that you can get admitted there and NEVER see an actual physician. Physician assistants are taking their place and I know full well that you can't compare a doctor to a physician's assistant. I am absolutely stunned! What is happening to the state of healthcare??!

Later in the morning, I got a call from my dad's physical therapist. She made room in her schedule to see him today! I was thrilled because I am having trouble motivating him at home. But Cassidy got him up and moving today and she really perked me up. 

Peter sent me this photo today from Boston. Today is his parent's 60th wedding anniversary and I made them this photo fleece blanket. Apparently it was a hit! Which makes me happy. 


No comments: