Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 3, 2022

Saturday, September 3, 2022

Saturday, September 3, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. As you can see, Mattie was all business. He got an excavating gift, in other words, a block of clay in which he had to dig, and dig, to reveal plastic dinosaur bones that he then got to assemble together. I was always grateful for gifts like this, as Mattie had very good fine motor abilities, and cancer fortunately did not interfere with this talent. 


Quote of the day: I'm going to be gone one day, and I have to accept that tomorrow isn't promised. Am I OK with how I’m living today? It's the only thing I can help. If I didn't have another one, what have I done with all my todays? Am I doing a good job?Hayley Williams


It was another busy day on the farm. In addition to my usual tasks, I wanted to put together a flower arrangement and certificate of appreciation together for one of my dad's servers, Dawn. 

In June, I began creating report cards for Dawn. Every time we went to the restaurant (which is once or twice a week), I would bring a report card. The card would have four unique questions and I would rate her responses by placing a colorful sticker in the column marked excellent, fair, or poor. I started these cards to get my dad engaged, listening, and talking at the table. I am not sure I was successful, but my mom and I enjoyed it and we learned a lot about Dawn and Clyde's in the process.

Today I presented Dawn with the 20th and last report card. In order to acknowledge her efforts with these cards, I also created a certificate of appreciation and I put together these flowers that I bought at the farmer's market. 

Four of my report cards. Mind you I cut them out and paste each report card to a colorful index card. Believe it or not, Dawn saves these cards and has showed them to her fellow servers, Clyde's managers, and her family. She assures me, no one has ever done this for a server!



Dawn was very surprised and touched today! You will notice on the table is a pile of change. This is another game we play. For every silly or ridiculous comment my dad makes to Dawn, she gets a coin. Examples of silly things... "is the food fresh?" or "do they allow tipping?" Needless to say, Dawn has a jar full of coins now!

Dawn is a great sport and support! My dad loves her and it is worth the trip to Rockville, MD to see her. She brightens our days and the other day, the manager at the restaurant gave me a big hug and kiss. She sees what I do each week, and though I expect no acknowledgment, it was very touching to get it!



No comments: