Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 20, 2022

Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Tuesday, September 20, 2022 -- Mattie died 677 weeks ago today. 

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. That week we took Mattie to New York to visit a major cancer institution there. I will never forget this moment in time because we waited HOURS, and I mean like six to be seen by this orthopedic surgeon. When our turn finally came up, his assistant told us that the doctor was rushing out to an engagement that evening and couldn't give us more than five minutes. I was livid, both because we made the trip from Washington DC and the simple fact that we entertained a 6 year old for six hours waiting for this doctor's arrival! When the doctor finally walked into the room, he was a clueless wonder and started talking about Mattie's aggressive cancer and the lack of hope right in front of Mattie. I stopped the doctor from talking and removed Mattie from the room. I will never forget this horrific doctor (who wore a bow tie) or how poorly this major cancer institution treated us.  


Quote of the day: The loss of a child is the most terrifying place for me to go.Nicole Kidman


Last night as I headed to bed, I felt sick to my stomach. I couldn't tell if it was something I ate or a migraine coming on. I tried to wait it out in hopes that my stomach would settle down. It didn't! So at 11:30pm, I got out of bed, came downstairs and got my prescription for nausea. Thankfully within an hour it kicked in and I fell asleep. When I woke up this morning, I just did not feel right. My head was pounding and I still felt queasy. I was literally taking deep breaths and trying to manage it because I had to make breakfast, get my dad up, showered, and dressed. I did do it! However, by 11am, I knew I had to go lie down. I rarely give into pain and feeling tired, but I am also acutely aware of the fact that I am sickly tired and if I don't stop and get rest, this whole house will implode. 

From 11am to 1pm, I fell asleep on my bed. It was delightful. I just tuned everyone else out. I popped up at 1pm, because I promised my parents I would take them out for frozen yogurt. Otherwise, I honestly would have stayed in bed for the day. That is how depleted I feel. 

Getting my parents up and to the car sometimes feels like a feat. When I got them to the frozen yogurt store, I showed my dad all the flavor choices and then sat them both down, while I got yogurt for all three of us. Because I am tired, I accidently put chocolate chip toppings on my mom's yogurt instead of mine. This of course did not go over well, and when I got the yogurt to my mom, I had to pick off every chip. 

Meanwhile, my mom has been complaining of hand pain for several weeks now. She had this pain a few months ago, and I actually took her to urgent care for an x-ray of the right hand. It turned out to be arthritis, which is what I suspect is true now for the left hand. Nonetheless, I have tried writing to her doctor and even called to talk to him on Friday. Three times I have reached out and each time I got NO response. Today I wrote a nasty gram to the office manager asking him if this is what I can expect from concierge service with Dr. Dopey (my nick name for him!). The doctor called me back today and I am taking my mom in tomorrow. My mom's physical therapist recommended hand therapy and the doctor refuses to prescribe it because he thinks this will only exacerbate her condition. So it's another day in paradise.

No comments: