Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 21, 2022

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2007. Mattie was five years old and it was his FIRST day of kindergarten. Though we were rushing to get out the door and in the car (keep in mind that in Mattie's kindergarten class, we were the only one commuting from the city, everyone else was from Northern Virginia), I wanted to capture this moment in time. I honestly thought I would have many MORE first days of school to come with Mattie. Thank goodness I took this photo, because I know you really don't get the chance to do something again! 




Quote of the day: When a child is born, it is the mother’s instinct to protect the baby.  When a child dies, it is the mother’s instinct to protect the memory. ~ Unknown


I woke up today feeling more stable than yesterday. I am still tired, but my head isn't spinning and I don't feel nauseous. One blessing. While getting breakfast together today, there was a knock on the door. It was our electrician at 8am. Bob was with us from 8am to 2:30pm. Gives you some idea for the magnitude of issues. Bob has been an integral part of our house since we bought it. In June and July of 2021, Bob and his team practically spent the summer in the house on a daily basis, because the whole thing needed to be rewired. 

So today I was juggling Bob, breakfast, and then getting my dad up, washed and dressed. Peter took my dad to the memory care center for a few hours, and I hopped on a conference call with Notre Dame University. They have a research institute that wanted to talk more about the Standards of Care and how they could be integrated into practice at a hospital they are working with in Mexico City. In between this conference call, Bob shut the power off several times. My computer was going on and off. It seemed to match the internal chaos in my head. 

Early this afternoon, I took my mom to see the doctor. My mom's physical therapist has been on me to get her examined, as my mom's wrist and thumb have been bothering her. I figured it was arthritis, but today, I put an end to the debate. 

We got to the office and this was my sight. NO ONE was around, the desks were abandoned and the door was wide open. Another older woman was sitting in the office and she told me her appointment was for 12:45pm, and it was 1pm with no one in sight. So I literally stormed back there until I found a live human being. Honestly! This looks like a safety issue, especially since they have access to private health data. 

The doctor, who I have nicknamed "Dopey" examined my mom's hand and feels it is not arthritis, but tendonitis. So Tylenol and icing of her hand was recommended. Not to mention keeping away from anything heavy or taxing to this hand in physical therapy. 

Tomorrow is a busy day. My dad has a colleague that he has known for 40 years who is coming from England to Washington, DC to visit. He feels this maybe the last time he gets to see my dad, and doesn't want to miss this opportunity to spend time with him. A very lovely and thoughtful visit. Initially I was going to host him in our house, but given the various needs of my parents I felt this wouldn't be fair to a guest. In addition, we live in the suburbs, not close to public transportation or National tourist sites and monuments. So my dad's friend is staying at a hotel and we will meet for four dinners while he is here. At one time I would have felt guilty about not hosting him, but I am well aware of the fact that I am doing the best I can, and also changing the routine is complicated and upsetting to my parents. 

No comments: