Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

September 7, 2022

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. Mattie was in treatment for about a month by that point. Our neighbor came over to deliver "Dandy Dog" to Mattie. Her friend creates these life sized stuffed animals and she wanted Mattie to have his cowboy. Mainly because she wanted Mattie to know that he was rugged and tough like a cowboy and he needed to tap into that strength to cope with cancer. As you can see, Mattie was showing us that he and Dandy Dog were about the same size. The generosity of our support community while Mattie was undergoing treatment was truly incredible. Never to be forgotten


Quote of the day: The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not ‘get over’ the loss of a loved one; you’ll learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same nor would you want to. ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross


Yesterday I was having a tough day, which was reflected in the blog. It is very difficult when you feel like life hasn't brought you what you wanted, given you the opportunities you would have liked, and you feel like your life is slipping by. Right before I went to bed, my lifetime friend, Karen, sent me this photo. I found this saying very meaningful and it is amazing how a message can turn your outlook around! 






It was another busy day with my dad at his memory care center, taking my mom to physical therapy, and then taking my parents out to eat. While at the restaurant, I was tracking Peter's flight back from Boston. Thankfully he is home safely now. Sunny and Indie (and me) are thrilled. 

My colleague and friend, Lisa, sent me an article today entitled, Walk this number of steps each day to cut your risk of dementia. Since my dad was hospitalized in 2020, all I have been hearing about is walking. Getting my dad up, walking, and counting steps. I think this short article highlights the importance of walking and it reminds me...... to put on my pedometer! I have no idea how many steps I take in a given day. Mainly because I do not always have my cell phone on me to track my steps. 

Basically the premise of the article is that walking and obtaining a certain number of steps per day (112 steps per minute), and particularly walking at a certain speed/rate, has been found to decrease the likelihood of developing dementia. Specifically it was found that exercise boosts levels of a protein known to strengthen communication between brain cells via synapses, which may be a key factor in keeping dementia at bay.

If dementia is inherited, then my future doesn't look very positive. However, I compare myself to my dad, and from a physical standpoint, we have lived a night and day difference. My dad has always been a much more sedentary person and unfortunately I do think his choices about NOT walking have come back to haunt him. However, in all reality, my dad isn't aware of his issues now, but given that I am providing his care, I would say that his behaviors have directly impacted me. 

If you want to learn more, check out these two links below:

Walk this number of steps each day to cut your risk of dementia

Association of Daily Step Count and Intensity With Incident Dementia in 78 430 Adults Living in the UK


It is hard to believe that tomorrow is September 8, marking the 13th anniversary of Mattie's death. For the last 12 years, September 8th has been sunny and warm. Just like it was in 2009, on the day Mattie actually died. Tomorrow it is scheduled to rain. I am not sure why that is important to note, other than it is different. What I do recall about September 8, 2009, was that it was a beautiful weather day, I MEAN GLORIOUS! But my body, mind, and spirit felt like the world was coming to an end, and I frankly did not understand how the sun could be shining and that earth was still revolving! Now 13 years later, I am certainly more physically stable, but emotionally the impact of Mattie's death still reverberates and impacts every aspect of my life. 

No comments: