Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 16, 2022

Friday, December 16, 2022

Friday, December 16, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2002, Mattie's first Christmas. Mattie clearly did not understand what was going on or why I was snapping photos. But I am glad I captured all the special moments as well as the day to day adventures. When I look at this photo, the notion of childhood cancer was not even on my radar scope. At that moment in time, I thought raising an 8 month old was challenging. Little did we know what we would have to face as a family. 


Quote of the day: Though those with Alzheimer's might forget us, we as a society must remember them. ~ Scott Kirshenbaum


Tonight's quote maybe true, but what I know about caregiving for a loved one is unfortunately my ability to remember the once healthy person dwindles. My mind gets fully consumed with the debilitated person. This altered person becomes my new reality and it takes a great deal of work to REMEMBER the person I once knew! I certainly went through this with Mattie. I worked hard to keep the spirit of the healthy little boy alive for Mattie while he was battling cancer. But some days it was hard to do given how cancer changed Mattie's mind, body, and spirit. 

Though my dad is not dealing with cancer, his mind has been ravaged by dementia. He is not even 1/16th of the person he used to be. He has no memory of his former life and instead I have to be his institutional knowledge. But I am not his wife, I am his child, and therefore my understanding of his life and experiences are different. I have a different lens. On top of which, my parents lived 2,500 miles away from me during my adult years. So in essence we were living two separate lives. I can't remember things for him because I did not share them with him. I have many issues around my parents decision to stay in Los Angeles while I remained in Washington, DC, as I had encouraged them to move and stay in our region back in 2005. However, after trying a relocation to Washington, DC for two months, they quickly moved back to LA in 2005 and remained there until I had to move them East in 2021. 

Last evening, I went to a friend's house for a small social gathering. Social gatherings and me don't always go well. In fact, I would say the majority of times they leave me sad and depressed and last night was no different. Holidays are troubling for me, and when women chat, it is natural for them to talk about their children. I can absorb so much of this talk, but now given my intense caregiving role, my patience and tolerance are VERY low. I also think all family caregiving is not the same. Women may refer to themselves as caregivers, but it is impossible to truly comprehend the day to day grind of what I manage unless doing it yourself. It is a night and day experience managing a loved one's care from an institution, rather than in your own home. 

Peter has been going through bins in our basement and came across two of Mattie's teeth! As you can see this was the second tooth Mattie lost. 
When Mattie lost a tooth, we would write a note to the tooth fairy and leave it by his pillow at night. Mattie did not want money, instead, he made specific requests! 
Sunny is on the prowl tonight!
Ricky the Raccoon! We had to pull Sunny inside because he was clearly spooking this fellow!


No comments: