Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 11, 2022

Sunday, December 11, 2022

Sunday, December 11, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2003. Mattie was a year and a half old and we wanted to get a photo of Mattie to feature on our holiday cards! Yet Mattie was a live wire and had no interest in posing for pictures. So I came up with the idea of dressing him up and putting him in a shopping cart. We tried Target, Home Depot, and Lowes. I can't tell you how many photos we took that day. As you can see Mattie was intrigued by all the lights and decorations. This was NOT the photo that went on the front of our card, nonetheless, it captured the beauty of Mattie's curiosity. 


Quote of the day: All the beautiful sentiments in the world weigh less than a single lovely action. ~ James Russell Lowell


It was another busy day on the farm. Peter and I were determined to get our Christmas tree up and decorated today. It was a feat, but we managed it. Keep in mind that Peter and I only started decorating again for Christmas (post Mattie's death) last year. For 11 years, we had been without a solitary decoration. Moving to the house in 2021 and having my parents living with us, forced us to re-engage with the holiday in some fashion. All I know is at a minimum decorating orients my parents to the season, so this compels me to activate. 

This is what our tree looks like this year. Last year we had it in front of the window and I had to re-arrange the entire dining room to accommodate the tree. This year, we have it tucked off to the side. The down side is you can't see it from the street. 
A close up!
Over the years, I saved many of the ornaments Mattie made in preschool. I happen to love this one, which is featured front and center on our tree. 
A friend of mine made Mattie Miracle ornaments for my volunteers and she saved one for me! I am so glad she did!
I bought this blue moon last year in Hallmark. It says.... Love you to the moon and back! A saying I said often to Mattie when he was alive. 
In preschool, Mattie decorated this pinecone! 
This year, I bought a gold toned moon for the tree in honor of my Mattie Moon!
During Mattie's first year in preschool, he made these cute mitts and his teacher laminated them! 
Mattie's painted star. You may notice a Christmas ornament in green that says Anthony (my paternal grandfather). I have an ornament on our tree for every grandparent who died. I started this tradition decades ago. 
Do you see the heart? It is made out of cinnamon. Mattie made it in preschool. It is the only one that survived storage. 



No comments: