Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 15, 2022

Thursday, December 15, 2022

Thursday, December 15, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2002. I absolutely loved that red Christmas onesie on Mattie. But what I particularly love about this photo was it captured Mattie's early desire to walk. Mattie was only 8 months old, but he had no interest with sitting on the floor or crawling. He wanted to be up and moving.


Quote of the day: Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it. ~ Greg Anderson


Peter brought home some carnations and pine yesterday and I quickly put together two flower arrangements. Everything in my home needs to be done quickly, because managing my parent's needs is a full time job and then some. They both have constant demands which is why the only way I was able to get my continuing education credits done toward my license renewal was to work while they are sleeping at night. 
Both arrangements. I would say that Peter and I have really transformed our home for Christmas. My parents have no interest in decorating, so we manage everything ourselves. 
The glow in our dining room in the evening. 
One of my arrangements in the front hallway. Ironically I bought those green tree candles in Los Angeles in 2021. They successfully made the move across country. 

This evening, I have been invited to a friend's house. In order to attend this gathering, I literally drove my parents out for an early lunch, and then drove back home. Each way was about a 40 minute commute. Shortly, I will be jumping back in the car once again for another long commute to my friend's house. Since my parents moved here, besides intense caregiving, I have also spent countless hours driving around and shuttling them from one thing to another. They are no longer stable enough to put in a taxi or uber on their own. 

I have noticed now on several occasions, that my mom gets confused when we are out. She can't recall the direction from the bathroom to the dining table. This is noteworthy because we only dine at three restaurants. So in essence they are like a second home for us. 

It was a cold and raw day, as it has been pouring all day. One of the managers of the restaurant offered to get my car in the parking lot and pull it up by the front door. As anyone can see my juggling act. I thanked him but I managed on my own. I took my mom to the car first with an umbrella and got her in. Then moved the car closer to the front door, and jumped out and got my dad. My parents need assistance with just about everything, such as putting on and taking off coats and jackets. 

One could say that going out tonight will be a bit of a respite. My reaction to this is somewhat. As the prep work makes me wonder if it is worth it. In addition, I am simply tired and once again my life doesn't like look most peoples. Therefore making conversation is challenging. But overall, I do think you can get to a point of being so tired and worn out and even an hour or two break doesn't cut it. 

No comments: