Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 28, 2022

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2003. Mattie was a year and a half old and a total live wire. I knew there would be NO way we could get him to stop moving long enough to take a Christmas photo for the front of our cards. So that day, I dressed Mattie up in a sweater and we took him to Target, Home Depot and Lowe's. We wanted to find a festive backdrop to snap a photo and I knew Mattie would sit still while in the shopping cart. Mattie loved those three stores, most likely because there was always something to look at that captured his attention. This was the photo we used in 2003 for the front of our holiday card. 


Quote of the day: You can’t calm the storm, so stop trying. What you can do is calm yourself. The storm will pass. ~ Timber Hawkeye


It was another busy day. My dad went to the memory care center, and after I walked with Peter and Sunny, I took my mom out to lunch and to shop at the mall. The mall was a zoo, but manageable. The cafĂ© at the store was super busy, but I found a lovely person who served us and did me a favor, so I did not have to stand on a long line to order food. All I can say is when I meet a person who does an act of kindness, it lightens my mood. It restores my feelings about life and humanity. 

Once I got home with my mom, a stack of mail was awaiting her. I have learned to drop everything and help her process her mail. I used to get very upset with her because she can be demanding when she has bills to pay or other correspondence. But like tonight's quote mentioned, I remain calm and as a result it prevents a storm of emotion and anger. Nonetheless, I was at it for 90 minutes helping her. 

While I was driving my mom to the mall today, she started on me about wanting to drive. I outright said, NO! There are some things that I am adamant about, first and foremost it is her safety and that of others. When she mentioned that she was capable of driving, and then provided her with a long list of cognitive issues that I have observed which would make her an unsafe driver. She heard me. I acknowledged her frustration, but on the other hand, I have altered my life so that she has the freedom to go out daily. 

Meanwhile back at our house, there was a beautiful pileated woodpecker hanging out in our backyard. I am quite certain the woody woodpecker cartoon was based on this cutie. 
The moon and a plane flying through our backyard!
Look at these two! We have taken Sunny on a daily walk for several days now. I know he loves this outdoor time with us, however, today, he wasn't himself. This new chemo seems to be doing a number on him intestinally and energy wise. 
Miss Indie on the other hand demands outdoor time. Given that we have fox and other threats to her safety, she is only allowed outside under supervision. She isn't happy about this and can get quite vocal about her disgust with us. 
Sun setting in our backyard!


No comments: