Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 29, 2022

Thursday, December 29, 2022

Thursday, December 29, 2022

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2004. Mattie was two and half years old. By this point, Mattie understood the notion of posing for a photo. So unlike the year before, in 2004, I did not have to do any tricks and entertainment to capture a special moment in time. This photo was featured on the front of our family Christmas card in 2004. 


Quote of the day: The need for connection and community is primal, as fundamental as the need for air, water, and food. Dean Ornish


There were several revelations from today. Two of them came while Peter and I were out walking Sunny. I am trying to make a commitment to myself, Peter, and Sunny, for us to get outside and walk together, like we used to. By mid-morning, after all my chores are done with my dad and mom, I try to escape for 90 minutes. The timing works out because with the winter months, neither of my parents want to be outside. In addition, I find after breakfast both of my parents literally need to nap. 

While walking Sunny today, we went into the woods. It is lovely to hop on a trail right from our neighborhood, without having to get into the car. In the woods, we came across a mom with three of her children. The children were playing by a stream with rocks and things. The mom was taking a photo of the kids playing. I resonated with this whole scene, as I was big on capturing all moments, not such special occasions. Peter went up to the mom and asked if she wanted him to take a photo of all of them together! She really liked that idea and she handed her phone over to Peter. After Peter snapped several photos, we continued walking with Sunny. Peter told me he did this because he knows how special photos are to moms! Typically moms are taking the photos and aren't always in the pictures. TRUE, great point! I found Peter's reflections and actions with this mom very thoughtful and what that translates into is that Peter gets how important photos are to me, and also appreciates the fact that I do not have many photos of all three of us together. The ones I do have, I cherish. 

One thing that both Peter and I observed is that our neighborhood is NOT friendly. When I used to walk Sunny in Washington, DC, someone always stopped me to either pet Sunny, ask about him, or to comment on what a "beautiful dog" he was! In some ways, Sunny was like a magnet for conversation! I honestly came to expect this on all my walks. Mind you it wasn't just the first year we got Sunny, it was every year we have owned him. 

Moving forward to where we live now, it is a night and day difference. When we pass people on the street, most don't even make eye contact. They don't even say hi, much less comment on Sunny. NOT one person here has ever told me that Sunny is beautiful, or tried to pet him. It is like we are living on a different planet. The issue is so pronounced that Peter and I are conducting our own psychological experiment. We now go out of our way to say hi and wave to people as we walk passed them. We are profiling people, in hopes of understanding this phenomena and to find a trend to who actually responds. So far the data is NOT looking good! 

So why would people in the city be friendlier? One would think that people living in a crowded space would be more indifferent, protective, and keep to themselves. What is happening in suburbia defies common sense. The only hypothesis I have come up with so far is that people here are used to having more open space and appreciate that, purposefully trying to avoid contact with others while out walking in their community. Of course I don't understand this whatsoever, because to me connecting with others is the greatest gift in life. Another thought is that in the city, people become very attuned to who is safe to talk with and who one should try to avoid eye contact with. Therefore with that in mind, I feel people in my neighborhood haven't developed this skill and as a result they ignore everyone. For what reason, again I have no explanation. Which is why I am telling you we are studying patterns and behaviors. It bothers me that much!

It is not like Peter and I have nothing better to do! We do of course. But like tonight's quote points out..... connecting with others is like a primal need. 

No comments: