Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 14, 2023

Saturday, January 14, 2023

Saturday, January 14, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2003. Mattie was 9 months old and doing his favorite thing.... riding around in his "tot wheels!" Mattie absolutely loved his walker. Though a controversial gadget, for Mattie it worked. It gave him the freedom and movement he desperately craved. There was NO crawling for him, he wanted to move into walking and running (though he did not have the strength yet to do it independently). 


Quote of the day: Patience is not simply the ability to wait - it's how we behave while we're waiting. Joyce Meyer


Every two weeks, I have two women come over to help me clean the entire house. I have been working with one of these women since Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. In fact, my neighbor at our townhouse in the city paid to have our home cleaned why Mattie was in the hospital. Back then I had no idea which end was up, so I welcomed the help because I had no time to clean anything. I am grateful Blanca doesn't mind coming out to the suburbs to help me, and given that she balances her own family, I tend to be flexible on what days she comes over. This morning, she came at 8:30am. In order for me to get up, get breakfast made, and manage my dad's routine, I had to get up at 6am. Yes on a Saturday! Gone are the days of sleeping in! I haven't slept passed 7am in over a year. 

Given that my mom seems truly exhausted, after breakfast, I set both of my parents up in one of our family rooms. I started the fireplace and turned up the heat in that room to 76. Which is the temperature they both are comfortable at and then I told Blanca not to clean that room today. This was the best decision I made because both of my parents rested, watched TV, and felt very comfortable. 

While they were resting, I went to the farmer's market with Peter. It felt like 20 degrees outside with the wind chill factor and then we walked Sunny for 90 minutes after that. It was wonderful to do something without having to monitor my parents and hear constant demands. Of course as soon as I got back from the walk and my dad heard me, he instantly started to get up to head to the bathroom. 

Later today, we drove to Maryland to take my parents out to eat. Despite all the rest they got, both of them seemed out of it. My dad literally looked like he was in a fog and my mom was super snappy. However, we also continue to see my dad having trouble swallowing food. He eats way too fast and take enormous bites. No amount of coaching or oral regulation helps him. So at time I have to resort to taking the plate away from him and portioning his food. I assure you going out to eat looks like a clinical case study and I juggle this constantly. Eating at home is no bargain either, because on top of the juggling act I also have cooking, serving, and cleaning. So to make a long story short, I can't remember the last time I had a peaceful meal, in which I wasn't jumping up and down, meeting needs, and working.  

No comments: