Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 12, 2023

Thursday, January 12, 2023

Thursday, January 12, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2003. Mattie was 9 months old and that weekend we took him for a walk on Roosevelt Island. Mattie's favorite form of transportation was on Peter's back. Forget the stroller or being held. Mattie loved riding high up in the air and having his feet and hands dangling around to explore the world. 


Quote of the day: It is okay of airing out your frustration, just don’t dwell on them. Find out the cause and find a solution of getting rid of it. If you can’t have the solution much as well accept it. ~ Ann Marie Aguilar


As tonight's quote points out, if I don't have a solution to what is frustrating me, I just have to accept it. In many ways, caregiving involves just that.... the acceptance of my situation and finding ways to live with the stresses, frustrations, and constant demands placed upon me. Some times and days I can deal with it better than others. 

I did my usual routine this morning of getting my dad up, washed, dressed, and downstairs for breakfast. In the midst of doing this, my mom was demanding things of me, which was very hard to address while also juggling my dad, who is around 200 pounds. Unless my dad is seated, he is full time project which requires supervision when standing and moving around. 

My mom finally came downstairs for breakfast and presented me with more paperwork that she wanted me to address and to make phone calls. I told my mom last night and this morning that I had an important conference call this morning from 11am to noon. She heard me, but if it doesn't impact her or my dad, she tunes out. Therefore, I told her once again that I couldn't address her paperwork until after I was done. 

Meanwhile, before my call began, I prepped my dad for his fitness session with the trainer (which was going to happen simultaneously with my call) and I got my mom situated in the family room with a fire going, a blanket, and pillows. I tried to plan ahead so that I could have an hour to look normal!

But don't you know it, five minutes my call, my dad had to use the bathroom (which means he passes right in front of my office door which is made of glass). I did not jump up to help him, but I later found out it didn't go well without me being in there! Pointing out once again that I can't take my eye off of him for a minute. After my call was done, my mom started complaining NON-STOP about how cold she was and how she couldn't get warm (despite the fact that the thermostat was on 75 degrees and she was sitting in front of a fire with a blanket!). I honestly feel like I can't win at all. 

Once my call was over, I literally wanted to get some work done. But I have come to accept the fact that this just can't happen when my parents are awake. So I then packed them up in the car and took them out to lunch. There is no level of understanding or appreciation for the fact that I take them out in some shape or form daily. Also they did not ask how my call went today and forget about the Foundation..... that never comes to mind either.

No comments: