Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 11, 2023

Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2005. Mattie was two and half years old and as you can see he was my little helper. Or at least I would say that Mattie wanted to be wherever I was. When looking at this photo, I remember those days quite well..... we seemed like we were bursting at the seams with kid cups, toys, and things to stimulate, engage, and entertain Mattie. I noticed it then, like I notice it now in the photo, but I had my priorities and top on the list was always meeting Mattie's developmental needs. 


Quote of the day: There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. ~ Albert Einstein


It was another busy day here on the farm. I got my dad up, washed, dressed, downstairs for breakfast and Peter took him to the memory care center. Meanwhile, I took my mom for physical therapy and sat through her session. It is very clear to me that her memory issues impact her ability to remember the exercises assigned to her and also her ability to execute the exercises properly on her own. Which means that I now need to take on her exercise routine with her. The problem is she is insistent that she knows what she's doing. However, what she thinks and what she does do not always match up. 

Sunny had his follow up ultrasound today to monitor his tumors. As a recap, Sunny has tumors in his bladder, spleen, and adrenal glands. We have tried two forms of chemo already before starting this third one a few weeks ago. Chemo number one practically knocked Sunny out, so we had to change medications. Chemo number two did not do the job, and instead we got disease progression. So before the holidays we switched to the third chemo and today we were bracing for the worst report possible. 

Turns out instead we received a miracle! Sunny's tumors are responding to the treatment. His bladder tumors are shrinking, as are the tumors in his spleen. The adrenal tumors are remaining stable. We were NOT expecting this news, but WOW it has made us feel so much better. Sunny is an important part of our family and his love, devotion, and support keep us sane most days!


No comments: