Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 15, 2023

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2003. Mattie was 9 months old and that day we took "tot wheels" outside into our commons area. It wasn't a particularly cold day, but regardless of the weather, Mattie preferred being outside. Our commons area was completely enclosed from the public or traffic and this flat smooth surface made was an ideal place for Mattie to move around. In fact, it was here that Mattie learned to run, fly a kite, and even drive around Speedy Red (the ride on vehicle he got during the end of his cancer journey). 


Quote of the day: For a chronic migraine, there are no triggers, life is my trigger. For chronic migraineurs there are no cures, there are only patches that will get you through to the next bout. ~ Emily A.


When I woke my dad up this morning, my mom started with me regarding questions about her bank account and bills. Needless to say, I sat and listened to her for a while and then I lost it. I lost it because I am tired. I still had to get my dad up, make their bed, and get him showered and dressed. So hitting me first thing in the morning with financial questions is not my cup of tea. But I know her! Unless I drop everything and manage her issues, there will be no peace. So I told my dad I would be back after helping my mom. 

For the past two days between caregiving tasks, I have also been trying to update our Foundation's website to show 2022 donors and sponsors. I wish I could say this is a simple process, but each year it is the same laborious process of going through our database and scrubbing or adding to the list on our website. Honestly it takes me hours and given my current situation what would once took hours, now takes days or weeks! I find this very frustrating, as I never have a moment to concentrate on anything for long. Some days I handle the frustration better than others.

This afternoon, we took my parents out for an early dinner. We visit with Cheryl every Sunday. She is another favorite server of ours. On the way home in the car, we started talking about birthdays, which quickly led to a discussion of Cheryl's birthday! I remembered in my head that she is a spring baby. However, when I quickly looked at my contacts on my phone, December 5th popped up as her birthday. Which of course then made me pause..... did we acknowledge Cheryl's birthday?? No one in the car remembered and my mom kept peppering me with questions. Suffice it to say, during the car trip, I was really struggling to remember and the tension of this during the car ride triggered a migraine. Which is the state I am in now. Good news is, I looked up Cheryl's birthday and it is May 10th! I was correct she is a spring baby and NO I haven't not lost my memory yet. 

If you haven't put two and two together, then I will fill you in. Given the state of both of my parents, I am always worried when I forget something, or something slips passed me. I immediately jump to the conclusion that I too will develop dementia! Given the constant schedule here, the tension, stress, and very little sleep, it is no wonder that I have a migraine today!

No comments: