Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 19, 2023

Thursday, January 19, 2023

Thursday, January 19, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2006. Mattie was three and half years old and was riding on Peter's toy duck. Peter had this toy when he was a child, and Peter's mom handed it down to us. To this day, this duck sits in my office and it reminds me of this moment in time. Honestly it is hard to believe that two years after this photo was taken, Mattie was diagnosed with cancer. 

 

Quote of the day: The torment of human frustration, whatever its immediate cause, is the knowledge that the self is in prison, its vital force and ”mangled mind” leaking away in lonely, wasteful self-conflict. ~ Elizabeth Drew


My dad's fitness trainer came over today. In fact, Teddy works with my dad twice a week. Teddy is wonderful, has a great personality, full of energy, and is very positive. Honestly I think he makes exercising look fun, if you can believe it. It takes a lot of coaxing to get my dad up and participating in body movement. I know my limitations, which is why I am thrilled we hired Teddy. My dad responds better to outsiders when it comes to physical requests. But Teddy does work my dad very hard. So hard that usually my dad is luggage for the rest of the day. Teddy explained that developing a new exercise routine can be very tiring for the first couple of weeks, until the body gets used to it. Therefore, we are in this low energy state into the near future. Of course in the middle of the fitness session, my dad needed to use the bathroom, and just like yesterday, he flooded the floor with urine. This is practically a daily occurrence, which means that I am cleaning more intensely than ever. I love when my dad argues with me and says that there isn't urine all over the floor. Now when he says this, I put paper towels all over the floor, so he can actually see what I do! I also do this to capture the fluid, so he isn't stepping in it and dragging it throughout the house. 

After Teddy left, Peter and I went outside and walked Sunny for a while. I needed to get out of the house, away from demands and tasks. However, I could tell my mom wasn't happy about my leaving the house. She was ready to go out, and was ticked off that I wasn't addressing her needs. I notice that she can no longer self-entertain, therefore is constantly looking to me to do things and to take her out. My dad is a full time project, but when I add my mom to the mix, some days I want to just scream. 

My mom doesn't like when I am on my phone, answering messages, and certainly doesn't like when I go out with a friend. Which is why I DON'T! I have no social life and it is a result of two things, intense caregiving, and my mom's attitude and negativity. 

Later this afternoon, I took my parents out to eat. We helped my dad to the car, and as he was beginning to walk down the garage stairs to get to the car, he tilted backwards. Fortunately Peter caught him. My dad's feet weren't moving, but his body swayed back! I have to keep an eye on this because this maybe a trend. A week or so ago, he had a swollen and painful hand. Which sent us to the doctor and for x-rays and a sonogram. Turns out his hand was fine, but I suspect he hit his hand while falling in some way at night while going to the bathroom. I can't watch him 24/7, and I have yet to understand how he injured his hand. After seeing what transpired today, I feel like I have a better understanding for what caused the hand injury. 

No comments: