Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

January 18, 2023

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in January of 2004. Mattie was a year and a half old and as you can see was in the kitchen with me. Mattie was always intrigued by what I was doing and if I was in a different room from him, he'd come and find me. Mattie also got a kick out of our garbage can. Peter and I painted it be cow themed. A theme I happened to love at one time. Naturally if I loved something, Mattie also took a fondness to it! We were two peas in a pod. 





Quote of the day: I'm craving intellectual stimulation. First mind, body, and then soul. ~ SB Lavender


It was a very full day today. I did my usual morning routine and then after Peter dropped my dad off at the memory care center, my 5 hour deposition with the licensure board began. Fortunately it was conducted virtually, which gave me great flexibility. However, to prep for this wasn't easy. Not because I do not know the content, I do, but because my world is a complete nightmare. 

In order to take this call with some privacy, I vacated my office which is on the first floor by our family room, and moved to Peter's office which is on the second floor near our bedroom. I really did not want to move spaces, as I am used to working in my own office, and given the stress of testifying, anything new, sometimes can throw me for a loop. But I knew with my mom walking around, her playing the TV and the radio, there would be NO WAY I could take a call from the first floor and appear professional. 

So I migrated my things and computer upstairs to Peter's office and I got myself set up with hot tea, lozenges and so forth. What I found out about today is that I still LOVE my licensure work. Prior to moving to Northern Virginia, I served on the DC board for 18 years. That is right, 18!!!! I devoted a good chunk of my professional free time to crafting laws, regulations, and adjudicating ethical violations. Frankly I found my years on the Board stimulating, it kept me connected to my profession, and it also gave me an outlet outside of childhood cancer. In fact, after Mattie died, I gave up practically every other aspect of my life, except for my role on the Board. I wanted to quit soon after Mattie died, but the Board staff wouldn't hear of it! I am glad I listened to them! It has been the one positive consistent professional thing in my life. 

Today I was balancing both a Zoom call and a Teams meeting on the computer. The testimony was happening through Zoom and the side bar conversation (private discussion) with the Board attorneys happened on Team meetings. Typically I am not good at balancing all this virtual stuff, but it worked out today. In fact, I would say for five hours, I saw the true Vicki shine through. A part of myself I haven't seen for over a year! You should have seen me answering questions, defending my own professional field and identity, and representing the former work I did on the Board. Needless to say, I felt proud, I felt a part of something bigger than daily chores, and I felt mentally stimulated. It showed me that I am MUCH more than just a house cleaner, the changer of depends undergarments, the cook, chauffeur, bill payer, and appointment keeper. 

Throughout the call, Peter check in on me during breaks. I really appreciated his support emotionally and his help with the technology. He understood that today meant something to me, without me having to say it! Isn't that absolutely lovely!?  

Of course once the call was over and my dad came back into the house from the memory care center, he urinated all over the floor. Which meant, YES back to house cleaner status and managing tasks. I of course blew up, because what my testimony reminded me today is that at one time, I was a part of society, I had an impact in some way on the community, and I did have enough brain power to hold my own with six attorneys today!

No comments: