Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 23, 2023

Sunday, April 23, 2023

Sunday, April 23, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2009. Mattie was home between hospital stays and that day we took him for walk around our neighborhood and the National Mall. Outside of our complex, was a bank of azaleas. So we stopped to take a spring photo and I am so glad that Peter captured this special moment of us together. 


Quote of the day: Unexpected kindness is the most powerful, least costly, and most underrated agent of human change. ~ Bob Kerrey


I got up early this morning because at 10:30am, our friend Heidi, came over to visit for a few hours. Heidi moved from Virginia to Massachusetts in 2017. It is hard to believe I haven't seen her since she moved. In the past, Heidi and I were in the same Zumba class and we would see each other weekly. In fact, I met her daughter, Isabel, when she was in middle school. Isabel got involved in many volunteer projects for Mattie Miracle. Now believe it or not, Isabel is in medical school! Just to put some perspective on timing!

I was excited to reconnect with Heidi and because she was coming to see me, I baked a lemon and blueberry loaf, served a platter of fresh fruit and got out my tea pots for morning tea! I wanted it to feel special. I asked Heidi to come at 10:30, because by that time, I would have completed my dad's morning routine. 

Heidi surprised me with a few gifts. One being these two tea towels. Since I consider myself a person who LOVES famous quotes, it is special to have these two towels. I love butterflies and we have frequent visits from deer, so the theme is quite appropriate! 

The quotes on the towels:

  • It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all. ~Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Dwell in possibilities. ~ Emily Dickenson
The blueberry lemon loaf. It may not photograph well, but I would give this recipe an A+! It was moist, tasty, and not sickly sweet. In case you want the recipe, here it is:

https://www.glorioustreats.com/lemon-blueberry-bread/


Overall, I find it very difficult to be able to talk freely with my parents around. As I am typically juggling their needs and issues. My dad was lying in his recliner while we were chatting at the breakfast table, but of course he never stays seated for very long. So of course, I was up taking him to the bathroom. Then I have noticed that my mom gets distracted easily now, and literally she turned to her cell phone while sitting at the breakfast table and was listening to something in the background. While we were trying to talk, mind you. I managed through all of it, but honestly I can't handle visits that are more than two hours long, because trying to look and appear normal for this period of time takes energy. Energy I do not have! Heidi understood this, so it was a perfectly timed visit, and it gave us some sort of opportunity to reconnect and catch up. Which to me is important, as I feel like I am living on my own private dysfunctional island most days. 

No comments: