Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

April 22, 2023

Saturday, April 22, 2023

Saturday, April 22, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in April of 2009. I know the exact day of the week.... FRIDAY! How do I know? Because the fellow making the slime was Chris, he was the president of the chemistry club at the University. Chris and his club friends visited the pediatric units ONLY on Fridays! No matter how badly Mattie was feeling, he always wanted to see Chris. Mattie loved all of Chris' scientific experiments and hands on activities. I can't tell you how appreciative I will always be to this student. I know Chris wanted to eventually go to medical school, and I always wonder... what happened to Chris? May he know that he brought us many happy moments. 


Quote of the day: There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it. ~ Edith Wharton


It is 7pm, and don't ask me what I have been doing today. I feel like I got nothing done. It was a grey and pouring rain kind of day. Thunder included! That sends Sunny right to the basement, as he gets extremely nervous with any sort of rumbling. At around 2pm, I told me mom that she had to get herself ready because we were going to leave at 2:20pm for our restaurant reservation. 

My mom was completely out of sorts, as I found her standing in the middle of her bedroom closet, with the door closed. She said that she did not want to go out because of the rain and felt we should stay home. It was safer! I told her that all three of us were going out and if she wanted to stay home, she was going to do that by herself. Which of course she did not want to do. So she reluctantly got it together and came with us. 

Once in the car, I sensed she was anxious. I prepped Peter and told him what was going on before getting in the car. So we just reinforced for my mom that it was just rain, there are other people out and about, and she was going to be fine. I did not see a change in her behavior until we got into the restaurant. The restaurant was lively and she could see people all around us eating and having a good time. So her attitude changed. But her behavior today was noteworthy, unusual, and not rational.  

In fact, today was the first day my mom admitted that her memory is failing. She did this because she asked me the same question several times in a row. Each time I reminded her the answer, and finally she caught herself which is what triggered her reflection about her memory. My mom needs as much support as my dad, however, the support just looks different than what I do for my dad. Needless to say, managing one parent is hard, caring for two takes the challenges to a whole new level.  

No comments: