Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 27, 2023

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2006. Mattie was four years old and by that time, taking photos for our Christmas card was much easier. Mattie loved the Christmas train that we got for him, and it became an annual tradition. No tree was complete without it! After Mattie died, we did not decorate. I just did not have the heart for it. When we moved into our house in 2021, because my parents are with us, I decided to decorate again. That may not sound like a big deal, but it was huge! Decorating meant resurrecting Christmas ornaments and lights, having a Christmas tree and of course re-assembling Mattie's Christmas train. It was lovely to see our tree in 2021 and 2022, and appreciate Mattie's hand made ornaments and other things we collected over the years. Though I decorated this year, I did not feel emotionally up to having a tree. So in some ways it feels like I have regressed back to my state of intense grief. 


Quote of the day: If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. ~ Emily Jane Brontë


In my office, I have built in book shelves. Yes I do have some books on these shelves, but for the most part I decided soon after we moved in, that I would devote these shelves to all things Mattie. Over Christmas, my friend in childhood cancer, Ilona, gave me two gifts. One was this butterfly demi tasse cup and saucer. It is whimsical and charming. Naturally all butterflies connect me to Mattie. So I felt this cup belongs on Mattie's shelves. 


Ilona is also an artist. She created this beautiful 'Lollipop Tree' (framed) for me. The significance of this tree is it represents Mattie's memorial tree at his school, dawned with all the ornaments and keepsakes I add on holidays and milestone moments. The Lollipop Tree sits right next to Mattie's Lego taxi that he designed from scratch with two Lego masters. 
Meanwhile, this is what Sunny is doing to our pillows. This is the third one he has destroyed. Sunny used to do this when we lived in the city. Typically he would act out when he felt he wasn't getting enough attention. But Sunny never did this at the house! This behavioral component is a new addition to my daily routine. No matter how much attention I give him, the fact that we go on walks, that I hand cook his food, I still get this! So now I am concerned he is acting out because he isn't feeling well. He goes to see the oncologist tomorrow for blood work, so I will be updating the staff on what's going on. 


For about a week and a half, I have been suffering with sinus pressure, pain, and a post nasal drip. Over the last two days it has gotten worse. I feel like I am drowning in fluid. I contacted my doctor's office and asked for antibiotics. You would have thought that I was asking for narcotics! They wouldn't give me antibiotics without an appointment. I literally said NO, that I wouldn't come in. So they went to tell the doctor I refused to come in. The doctor's nurse then called me and gave me some lecture on rules and regulations. Again, I really don't care! I am balancing a circus show and I told the nurse I needed compassion NOT a lecture. So instead, the nurse booked me for a virtual visit today at 4:15pm. I complied! Of course after a 15 minute appointment with the nurse practitioner I was prescribed antibiotics. The system sucks, as I could have saved them the 15 minute appointment, if they had listened to me in the first place! It's not like a sinus infection is new for me. I get one or two a year, at almost the same time each year! All I know is this sinus infection is exhausting me and I could literally fall asleep standing up. 

No comments: