Mattie Miracle Walk 2023 was a $131,249 success!

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

December 28, 2023

Thursday, December 28, 2023

Thursday, December 28, 2023

Tonight's picture was taken in December of 2007. Mattie was five years old. This was the last Christmas we had with him before cancer came into our lives. At that moment in time, Mattie was so happy! Look at that smile. Didn't he look like the picture of health?!



Quote of the day: The pleasure of remembering had been taken from me, because there was no longer anyone to remember with. It felt like losing your co-rememberer meant losing the memory itself, as if the things we'd done were less real and important than they had been hours before.  John Green


Thank goodness for antibiotics. Even with one dosage last night, it made a huge difference. I wasn't drowning in post nasal fluid. Of course I am finding that the antibiotics produce nausea. I learned this while driving in the car today to go grocery shopping. I literally thought I was going to be ill. I opened up all the car windows and tried to calm down. Fortunately the feeling passed, but I have more energy than yesterday and I am hoping to only take the antibiotics for five days rather than ten. 

While I was grocery shopping, my dad's physical therapist came over for a session. I expressed to her my concerns about my dad. His decline over the last week is huge. He moves slower, is having trouble standing from a seated position, and climbing stairs are labored. In fact, I would say any movement produces shortness of breath. I was so concerned about his huffing and puffing last night that I ran downstairs to get the blood pressure cuff and pulse oximeter. Needless to say his blood pressure and oxygen levels were all normal. As they were today during exercise. 

It was constant chores for me today. After putting all the groceries away, I had to pack up Sunny and take him to his oncology appointment. He was having blood work done to see if the new chemo was impacting his blood chemistry. Sunny is over 60 pounds and his back end needed to be lifted into the car, because he can't manage it alone anymore. So what I am saying is it is a labor intensive journey to the vet. Thankfully Sunny's blood work is stable and he can remain on the new chemo drug. The main blessing for today! I take all blessings when they come, as Sunny is a crucial part of my life and a loving and loyal companion. 

No comments: