Mattie Miracle 15th Anniversary Video

Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation Promotional Video

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to us that you take the time to write to us and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful to us and help support us through very challenging times. To you we are forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically stop writing on September 9, 2010. However, at the moment, I feel like our journey with grief still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with us, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki and Peter



The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation celebrates its 7th anniversary!

The Mattie Miracle Cancer Foundation was created in the honor of Mattie.

We are a 501(c)(3) Public Charity. We are dedicated to increasing childhood cancer awareness, education, advocacy, research and psychosocial support services to children, their families and medical personnel. Children and their families will be supported throughout the cancer treatment journey, to ensure access to quality psychosocial and mental health care, and to enable children to cope with cancer so they can lead happy and productive lives. Please visit the website at: www.mattiemiracle.com and take some time to explore the site.

We have only gotten this far because of people like yourself, who have supported us through thick and thin. So thank you for your continued support and caring, and remember:

.... Let's Make the Miracle Happen and Stomp Out Childhood Cancer!

A Remembrance Video of Mattie

July 12, 2024

Friday, July 12, 2024

Friday, July 12, 2024

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2003. Mattie was a year old and it was his first trip to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I am a big lighthouse fan and though Mattie was a little guy, I thought it was never too early to start introducing these magnificent structures to him. That day, we went to Bodie Light! It is a moment in time, I will never forget. Life seemed much more innocent then when childhood cancer wasn't part of my lexicon and I had such great hopes for the future with my son and husband. 




Quote of the day: You're going to wake up one day and realize what you've done, and you're going to regret the time you wasted apart from her for the rest of your life. ~ Jamie McGuire


I received this beautiful photo in my in-box today. You know those computer generated photos of memories that we all get! In the past, I would have loved this reminder and paused to reflect on my wedding day, July 15, 1995. Today, the photo cut me like a knife. 

Peter and I were married in New York, and the officiant of our wedding was the monsignor of the church I attended and was confirmed at as a young teen. We had a magical wedding and by the end of the evening, it was so hot, that we could see heat lightning. We viewed that as nature's own fireworks for our union. 

How on earth did I go from that to this??? I HAVE NO ANSWERS. NONE!


Given that above photo, I was deeply touched to get this card of support from my cousin Maureen. I wish she lived closer, as we have a mutual understanding and respect for one another. 

The doorbell rang today and I received a flower delivery. I have to tell you when I first saw the flowers, you know what I thought??? Of course you do!!! I thought they were from Peter, for our upcoming 29th anniversary. I know, I am delusional, as my brain can't seem to process that he doesn't love me anymore. 

I am very grateful to my friend Jen for these beautiful flowers and for reminding me I am loved. 
I woke up this morning with this image sent to me by my friend Phyllis. It is perfect, exactly how I feel. I am done with being tested and jumping through life's hurdles.  












Last night, a faithful blog reader left me a comment. I have never met Esther, we only know one another through my writings. Which is remarkable in and of itself. I am so honored that so many people have gotten to know my Mattie through this blog. If I do not accomplish anything else in life, then I know one of my main missions has been achieved. One of the things Esther said is.........

You are mighty and exemplary, look at how you have lived your life, loving and honoring your son every single day since he was born and after he left this realm, and not only you have honored him, but you have helped others in the process through your Foundation, for goodness sake! 

I am absorbing Esther's words, my cousin Maureen's words, and Jen's words today. When you lose the love of your life without warning, it does a number on your mind, heart, and spirit. Thank you all for reminding me that you see who I am, you understand my character, integrity, and unwavering commitment to those I love. THIS IS A GIFT!


Four things I am grateful for:

  1. My cousin Maureen's card and support.
  2. Jen's note and flowers.
  3. Esther, who I never met, but value her thoughtful support.
  4. Phyllis, for starting my day off with a chuckle!

No comments: