A Remembrance Video of Mattie

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to me that you take the time to write and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful and help support me through very challenging times. I am forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically have stopped writing on September 9, 2010. However, like my journey with grief there is so much that still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with me, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki



July 21, 2026

Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Tuesday, July 21, 2026 -- Mattie died 855 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in July of 2003. Mattie was a year old and it was his first trip to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I am a big lighthouse fan! So we began to introduce these stoic beauties to Mattie at the tender age of one. This was us in front of the famous Hatteras Lighthouse! Back then Mattie did not quite understand what we were doing or seeing, but the next year and the year after that, he began to share my fascination and was eager to visit and explore inside and out. 




Quote of the day: Making the best of what we’ve got is the best choice we can make. ~ Sheldon Kopp


This morning, while making breakfast, I looked out my kitchen window and saw this magnificent cardinal. Cardinals are hard birds to capture on camera. Mainly because they are skitterish and do not remain in one place long. But this fellow did not move for at least a minute, giving me time to snap a photo. Whenever I see a cardinal, I view it as a sign from my Mattie to me. As the 18th anniversary of the day of Mattie's diagnosis (July 23, 2008) is fast approaching, I believe I was meant to see this sighting today!
When we moved into this house, the previous owner had two hooks on the patio. We quickly learned that the hooks were for hummingbird feeders. I want to say that generations of hummingbirds have been coming to this house every spring and summer. 

How do I know this? Because in the spring, the birds fly right to the hooks, even before I take the feeders out of the season. They just know that this is where they received sugar water before! I think the hummingbird is a magical and precious bird. I change the sugar water in the feeders weekly and my dad actually loves spotting and watching these birds. 


Last night, I got derailed for an hour with this smoke detector. First off, I did not even know if I was a smoke detector or something else. At 9:30pm, I text messaged, Bob, my electrician extraordinaire. Bob has been a part of my life since 2021, since he had to rewire our entire house after we bought it. Bob and his team spent months at the house, and therefore we got to know each other well. Thank goodness, because it is very hard maintaining a house alone. 

Who else is going to help me at 9:30pm? I also need someone familiar with all the equipment inside the home! Bob immediately told me it is a nest smoke detector and it is blue, because it was having trouble connecting to wi-fi! Any case, I got out a ladder and he gave me instructions on how to correct the problem. 

Once I reset the device, it went back to the green light. But seriously, I panicked. I would like to say that I have gotten used to daily crises, but I haven't! With each crisis and issue that arises, you can literally hear me getting upset that I am left on my own to manage the impossible!


Tomorrow I head to my doctor's office for a blood test. He gave me three months to reduce my cholesterol level. I wish I could say that I started my exercise routine three months ago, but I didn't! I have instead been at it for a month. We shall see if it is making any sort of difference. The doctor is unrealistic, and truly has NO comprehension for what I balance in any given day. 


No comments: