A Remembrance Video of Mattie

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to me that you take the time to write and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful and help support me through very challenging times. I am forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically have stopped writing on September 9, 2010. However, like my journey with grief there is so much that still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with me, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki



August 18, 2026

Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Tuesday, August 18, 2026 -- Mattie died 859 weeks ago today.

Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2006. We were in Los Angeles visiting my parents and Mattie was experiencing swimming in a pool. Mattie had a very healthy respect for water and was cautious. It took him quite some time to get used to being in a pool and swimming. Swimming lessons helped a great deal. In this sense, Mattie and I were very much alike, both of us did not take to swimming easily! When I look at this photo now of Mattie and my mom, it brings back many memories. I only lived in this house three years, before coming back to the East coast to go to college. I experienced life in Los Angeles because of my parents and I am happy I was able to introduce West Coast adventures into Mattie's short life.  


Quote of the day: Do not look for healing at the feet of those who broke you. ~ Rupi Kaur


This morning I got up early so that I could get to my banking appointment at 10:30am. The appointment was to process payment for the mortgage assumption. My dad's physical therapist was coming over this morning and I text messaged her that I wouldn't be home but told her my dad would be at the breakfast table and that my mom was upstairs getting ready. Of course any time my dad hears that I am leaving the house, his irritable bowel issues kick in. Normally I manage these moments daily but this morning I wasn't having any of it, because I needed to get to the bank and honor the appointment. 

When I got to the bank, all the ladies working there greeted me. I know all the female tellers and bankers. They have been on my journey from separation to divorce and they have been working with me to stabilize out my financial life. I can't tell you how grateful I am to these women. When they heard that I qualified for the assumption, they asked me...... when is the party? They had me laughing, but they are thrilled that I have now made a clean break and have independence. I would never guess that I would be in this position, EVER. From my perspective other people get divorces.... NOT ME! 

Any case, I got my mission accomplished at the bank and then came home, only to learn that my dad told the therapist that he was hungry and that I did not give him any food this morning. I literally looked at the therapist! ARE YOU KIDDING, is what I told her! I make breakfast and meals every day for my parents, there is no way I would have left the house without showering, dressing, feeding my dad,  and having him take his pills. What I find so fascinating is that people really do not have any insight for just how bad my dad's memory is, as he can eat one minute, and in the next minute, he has no idea he ate. My dad has lost all long term memories now and I am just happy he at least knows who I am and who my mom is! My joke however is...... I should stop cooking and just open up a can of fancy feast for dinner with crackers! Naturally I would never do this, as I am all about the food!!! But it is hard cooking from scratch and my dad having no insight into the quality of food he is eating!

I looked outside my office window today and saw this glorious sight! My hibiscus was blooming. This plant has NEVER bloomed before. I bought it last year at Lowe's. When I bought it, it was so small, about the size of my hand! It was outside last spring and summer and then I winterized it inside the house. Once again, I brought it outside this spring and summer. I can't tell you how excited I was to see these blooms today! It was almost like they opened up to celebrate the monumental occasion of the mortgage assumption. 





This afternoon, I was physically dragging! I am so tired, I just wanted to put my head down on a pillow and sleep for a week. Not going to happen, so instead I brewed tea. My friend Carolyn gave me this micro strainer years ago and my friend Phyllis gave me some teas recently. I put both gifts together and made a lovely tea. I never thought about mixing tea leaves, but Phyllis has encouraged me to find my inner mixologist. So today, I tossed together blood orange tea and vanilla black tea. It made for a very lovely combination! With Mattie's death and now my divorce, I have learned to appreciate the simple things in life. For me, tea is a glimmer to my day!


No comments: