Sunday, August 16, 2026Tonight's picture was taken in August of 2004. Mattie was two years old and was in Los Angeles visiting my parents. It was a yearly tradition, in which we would spend two weeks with my parents every August. Mattie loved California and he especially loved visiting at winter time, because Mattie's favorite place to be was outside, in nature. I look at this photo now, and it is hard to believe that Mattie is gone, that my dad is no longer the person he used to be, and let's not even talk about the loss of the person who took this photo of us.
Quote of the day: Cooking is the ultimate giving. ~ Jamie Oliver
The man in orange was a student of my mom's many years ago! I have known Gary since I was in middle school! So we go back a long time. Gary has never lost touch with my mom and while he and his wife were in town, they came over today to visit. We had a lovely time chatting and eating. Apparently my frittata and lemon/blueberry loaf were hits!
When I asked my mom where she wanted to me to serve brunch today, she voted on the dining room. Originally I was going to serve us at the kitchen table, but my mom wanted it to be special. Since we are always eating in the kitchen, I agreed with her. So last night, I set the table, I assembled several bouquets of roses together from my garden and the the table looked very inviting. My goal was for it to be a special visit for my mom and for people to feel relaxed and enjoy a meal together.
Of course my dad was up to his usual irritable bowel tricks, and I jumped up three times from the table to manage his needs. Given that brunch was a lot easier to serve, let's say than a big holiday meal, jumping up and down worked.
Gary and Lisa dropped their son off at college, which was why they were in town. I am not sure milestones like this will ever be easy for me to hear. As it is a very painful reality that Mattie never made it passed age 7, and so many special moments and memories that other families share, I missed. I certainly can be mature and sensitive enough to appreciate these milestone moments for others, but at the same time, I am human and have deep feelings.
On another note, check out this cutie. She was in my front yard yesterday! I can't see this beautiful sight without thinking of the film, Bambi, and of course, that I can't think of the movie Bambi without thinking of my Mattie. Funny how all things lead back to my Mattie Brown!
No comments:
Post a Comment