A Remembrance Video of Mattie

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to me that you take the time to write and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful and help support me through very challenging times. I am forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically have stopped writing on September 9, 2010. However, like my journey with grief there is so much that still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with me, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki



September 17, 2026

Thursday, September 17, 2026

Thursday, September 17, 2026

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2008. It was our second month in Mattie's cancer journey. Mattie's room felt like the size of a postage stamp with three people in it and a lot of medical devices and equipment. Yet that did not stop Mattie from creating, building, and playing. Truly his spirit was amazing, because I am quite certain if an adult faced what Mattie did, we most likely wouldn't have handled it so well and I am quite certain we wouldn't have felt much like smiling.





Quote of the day: Feeling lost, crazy and desperate belongs to a good life as much as optimism, certainty and reason. ~ Alain De Botton


I have been communicating back and forth today with my dad's memory care center. I felt the need to reach out to them because my dad says he "hates" going. When I ask him to elaborate on that feeling, he can't! My dad's go to line is..... "I don't know!" That may not sound bad to you, but when you hear this all the time, it can get overwhelming. To say that he hated something seemed like a very strong reaction to his experience. Which was why I contacted the Center. We have been chatting about this for two days.

It turns out the decline that I am seeing in my dad, they are also seeing at the Center. They are seeing that my dad isn't interest in participating in all the activities he once used to like (such as seeing short videos, playing games, and other cognitive games and quizzes) and he is doing a lot of dozing instead. The dozing is a new occurrence at the Center. They did not want to assume that his behavior at the Center was due to memory decline, so when I contacted them, it got the ball rolling, so that we could evaluate the issues from both angles. 

We are now on the same page, my dad is progressing out of moderate stage dementia into the final phase. This final phase scares me to no end because it is in this phase that people are unable to walk and eat. I literally can't think about this as his caregiver. I instead have to take it one day, week, and month at a time. The Center has asked me to consider placing my dad in a different classroom at the Center, one that is more geared to address his issues. I have asked them whether we can try this new room for a week and re-evaluate how it is going. 

On top of that, I am once again facing an issue with the shared drive on my computer. This is a system my other half established years ago, because we work with large foundation files and data, and it is the most efficient way to back it up. But today, I went to look at photos and don't you know it.... ALL my folders were empty! Unlike the last time this happened, I now know where they go.... they get dumped without my knowledge to a recycling bin. So I did not panic as much this time around, unlike last year when this first happened! I also have an external drive which holds all my photos, because if I lost Mattie photos, I think I would jump right out the window. So once again, I am moving photos out of the recycling bin and putting them where they belong, but the problem is I don't know why this is happening. I hate technology and when things like this happen, my other half was always my immediate tech support. Now I am on my own, and frankly it is a daunting place to be. 

No comments: