A Remembrance Video of Mattie

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to me that you take the time to write and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful and help support me through very challenging times. I am forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically have stopped writing on September 9, 2010. However, like my journey with grief there is so much that still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with me, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki



September 16, 2026

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Tonight's picture was taken in September of 2003. Mattie was a year and half old and this photo was snapped of us while we were doing computer time. On occasion, we would sit down and go to educational sites on the internet to read stories, look at numbers and words, and learn to put letters and words together. In addition, PBS had a kids site and there were many sing-a-longs on that site. Mattie loved the TV show, Jay Jay the jet plane, and I can't tell you how many times we sang all those songs together. We would sing, I would bounce Mattie up and down on my lap, as if he was flying around on a jet plane. HE LOVED IT! 


Quote of the day: If you’re searching for a quote that puts your feelings into words – you won’t find it. You can learn every language and read every word ever written – but you’ll never find what’s in your heart. How can you? He has it. ~ Ranata Suzuki


Sometimes I go back in time by looking at the blog. The blog is an historical account of my last 18 years! During this same week in 2021, we were united, working together to renovate the house, decorate it, and getting it ready for us to move my parents in with us in December of 2021. 

Back in September of 2021, we found the perfect spot to hang, Mattie's Mr. Sun! This sun is in a prominent hallway in the house, so everyone can see it. This painting was actually created by Mattie and his art teacher in 2008. She invited him to her studio while he was battling cancer. They worked together for several weekends, and finally I got to see the amazing product. Needless to say, when Mattie died, Mr. Sun, served as the inspiration for his Foundation's Logo.

The logo! Notice that the sun has 7 rays! Each ray represents one of Mattie's years on this earth!






The other project we worked on together in September of 2021, was arranging and hanging my Wall of Mattie. These wonderful photos were a Mother's Day gift to me in 2012. We had them up in the apartment in the city, and when we moved into the house, I wanted them lining this long wall. When we moved into this house, I envisioned our life going a certain way, I would never have guessed how we landed up and honestly my brain struggles with this daily. 










Normally I go grocery shopping on Fridays. But this Friday, Indie has her annual vet appointment. I admit that I do not like capturing Indie, putting her in her carrying case, and taking her to the vet. It is traumatic for both of us. While out shopping today, I decided to stop at Lowe's first, as I wanted to buy a few pansies and mums for my side door. Everything by that door was looking straggly from the summer heat. Here is what it looks like now. 

It is not a big change, but I find pansies are a happy flower and it is the little things that can perk up one's day. 


No comments: