A Remembrance Video of Mattie

Thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive!

Dear Mattie Blog Readers,

It means a great deal to me that you take the time to write and to share your thoughts, feelings, and reflections on Mattie's battle and death. Your messages are very meaningful and help support me through very challenging times. I am forever grateful. As my readers know, I promised to write the blog for a year after Mattie's death, which would mean that I could technically have stopped writing on September 9, 2010. However, like my journey with grief there is so much that still needs to be processed and fortunately I have a willing support network still committed to reading. Therefore, the blog continues on. If I should find the need to stop writing, I assure you I will give you advanced notice. In the mean time, thank you for reading, thank you for having the courage to share this journey with me, and most importantly thank you for keeping Mattie's memory alive.


As Mattie would say, Ooga Booga (meaning, I LOVE YOU)! Vicki



October 9, 2026

Friday, October 9, 2026

Friday, October 9, 2026

Tonight's picture was taken in October of 2008. Mattie was in-between treatments and home from the hospital. That day, Debbie, Mattie's art teacher from school came over to do some creative projects with him. Mattie met Debbie when he was in kindergarten. They instantly connected and I will never forget that in Mattie's mid-semester commentaries from his teachers, Debbie wrote..... Mattie is a "old soul." Debbie understood Mattie and she brought out the inner artist in him. Mattie's Mr. Sun painting, was created with Debbie in her studio a month after this photo was taken. Mr. Sun is part of Mattie's legacy and serves as the symbol of Mattie Miracle!

Mattie and Debbie and of course... Mr. Sun!









Quote of the day: The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain. ~ Dolly Parton


At 6:45am, I went outside (in my pajamas) and found that all my pansies were decimated. In the middle of the night, a group of deer came and ate the heads off of all my pansies. If that wasn't bad enough, they then pulled each and every plant out of the box. I found the actual plants all over the driveway! Needless to say, I was NOT happy. I collected all the plants and replanted them. It is my hope they will take and possibly rebloom. Though I love these four legged friends, I do not like their eating frenzy. 

In addition, I have roses in front of the house that my other half planted after we moved in. I rarely get a rose on these plants! Why? Because they serve as deer food! I have neighbors with red roses! The deer don't touch them, but my pretty pink roses, are apparently highly desirable!

After I dropped my dad off at his memory care center, I headed to the grocery
store. It is my Friday morning ritual. When I got back home, I put away groceries, dealt with laundry, and then went into the backyard with my green's barrel. I spent an hour outside pulling weeds. I find being outside and pulling weeds very therapeutic and there are times I get so overwhelmed with feelings over my divorce that I can't sit still. I have to move around. Needless to say in an hour's time, I filled up an entire barrel. It is hard to believe that now I need to turn my attention to transplanting my sunny hibiscuses into plastic pots to winterize them inside. I can't seem to get myself to do this yet. Instead, I set up the flower pot holders and coasters inside the house today and am slowly accepting that winter is coming. 

No comments: